Triple Toxicrene!

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Triple Toxicrene!

Postby Draaen » Mon May 11, 2020 12:47 pm

So I have been playing around on TTS and looking at ways to make the triple toxicrene list work. Something about the combination of how they look and the way they play on the table has made me fall in love with these noble creatures. They aren't exceptional at any one thing but they have a million little special rules and they really do work.

So I have been having pretty decent success with this list. I also really like all the models except the exocrine which I only mostly like. There doesn't seem to be a good replacement for them.

Custom Hive Fleet - +1 to hit on charge for monsters, Re-roll 1 attack roll if within 6" of synapse

Swarmlord
Hive Tyrant - Venom Cannon, Monstrous Rending Claws, Adrenal Glands, +1 Spell 1+ to cast relic
Hive Tyrant - Relic 3 shot Venom Cannon, Monstrous Rending Claws, Adrenal Glands
Hive Tyrant - 2x Monstrous Rending Claws, Adrenal Glands
2 x Broodlords

6 x 3 Ripper Swarms
3 x Toxicrenes
3 x Exocrines - 2 have synapse Adaptive Biology

Exocrines Chill in the back, Rippers screen or deep strike situationally as needed an everything else moves forward to apply pressure.

So this makes it so that only the toxicrenes, rippers and one exocrine do not have synapse so I pretty much always get my re-rolls to hit. The generic hive tyrants, broodlords and toxicrenes re-roll all wound rolls which makes everything very consistent on damage. Toxicrenes are super scary since they can go 16+2d6" and charge with onlsaught and the hive commander ability. They can stop anyone from falling back as well with their noble grasping tentacles. So in general if I go first I can really muck up someone's plan. If I go second the toxicrenes need to be dealt with which still allows the toxicrenes to rain death from the back. So I don't think I'm too reliant on the first turn although obviously I generally want it.

The exocrines are super accurate for nids and deadly with the synapse re-roll. 12 S7 AP-3 D2 shots generally re-rolling 2 misses are tough to deal with. If you have shorter range anti-tank like multi-meltas then you will get close enough for the toxicrenes and hive tyrants to charge on in.

I get out on the board so I have a good board presence and the rippers are exceptional for positional play and grabbing objectives.

The one thing which I think I may have issues with would be a hoard but again the toxicrenes aren't bad at clearing hordes and the exocrines will really whittle through large numbers of models if given the chance. Broodlords also put out a large number of attacks so I think I could make it all work. Part of me thinks I could make one walkrant have a venom cannon and the other a stranglethorn. Then I could switch the max shot relic to the stranglethorn if I were to run into a horde list. Not a huge change or effect but it would be helpful.

What do you guys think? How would you deal with this list?
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: Triple Toxicrene!

Postby Sandtiger » Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Dealing with this list in appropriate fashion looks to me like having a gun line full of 36-48", S8-9 stuff shooting at you. Seems like in order to get at the Hive Tyrants you need to take out the Exocrines and/or the Toxicrenes (because against that kind of list you're going to give the Hive Tyrants all the character protection that they can get until you can charge forward) so Turn 1 would definitely be very important, and the damage rolls need to be high to take out... I'd guess half of your six total Exocrines and Toxicrenes on Turn 1, ideally. So you're looking at something like Eric's leafblower AdMech list, Steven's tank commanders list, or a Guilliman gun line being your worst enemy I would think. High rolls on Lascannons and Missile Launchers or equivalents from any of those are gonna blow you up and set you back a lot because a lot of your points are tied up in the big monsters, and if those are gone early then you can take out the ripper swarms one by one.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Re: Triple Toxicrene!

Postby Draaen » Fri May 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Sandtiger wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Dealing with this list in appropriate fashion looks to me like having a gun line full of 36-48", S8-9 stuff shooting at you. Seems like in order to get at the Hive Tyrants you need to take out the Exocrines and/or the Toxicrenes (because against that kind of list you're going to give the Hive Tyrants all the character protection that they can get until you can charge forward) so Turn 1 would definitely be very important, and the damage rolls need to be high to take out... I'd guess half of your six total Exocrines and Toxicrenes on Turn 1, ideally. So you're looking at something like Eric's leafblower AdMech list, Steven's tank commanders list, or a Guilliman gun line being your worst enemy I would think. High rolls on Lascannons and Missile Launchers or equivalents from any of those are gonna blow you up and set you back a lot because a lot of your points are tied up in the big monsters, and if those are gone early then you can take out the ripper swarms one by one.
Yeah when I though of one list that gave me pause on how I would play Erics Admech list. He has 3 things in there I imagine I will find difficult. Flyers cause the -1 to hit, Big T8 fighty shooty target in the knight and oodles of plasma. I think I am less scared of battlecannon style guns with lower AP since I do have good saves and I can make my guys count as in cover if I go second.

That said though the toxicrenes really need to be addressed early so I would probably have my tyrants and exocrines pretty well at full capacity. I think the exocrines would deal with he flyer or the kataphrons pretty well. The knight would be the most difficult for me to deal with. Him being T8 I think I would need to rely on some combat beat downs with my re-rolls to wounds or the long game with the heavy venom cannons to soften him up and horror to reduce his effectiveness. swarmy with catalyst also seems like he would love to fight a knight.

I did play against Dans salamanders with oodles of las cannons. Turn 1 I got siezed on and Dan killed all the toxicrenes and an exocrine. I was able to make a game out of it by flinging up a tyrant and taking the center of the board. The hard thing for him in that match up came turn 2 with the invulnerable saves on my hive tyrants and his inability to move into the center without getting really hurt in melee. Tyrants get a 9" move at top profile and then +1 to advance and charge with adrenal glands. With swarmys extra move it ends up being a rather large threat area. The noce big base means he can tag a couple units to stop them from shooting the next turn.

One thing to note though is that the hive tyrants are 12 wounds so they do not get character protections. Only the broodlords in this list get to hide behind the bigger guys in front. This does mean though that the broodlords can hide behind the hive tyrants safely when I am moving across the midfield into combat.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces