Flash Gitz

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Flash Gitz

Postby spruter » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:38 pm

I've been wanting to do orks for a while now, but not sure what direction to go in. I finally settled that I want to run flash gitz mostly because I love the models and they could be a lot of fun / have reliable Dakka without boring my allies by having slow turns down with dice rolling. However they seem way too expensive for what they do. I don't have the codex yet, but are there any sub factions / stratagems that would make them actually useful?
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: Flash Gitz

Postby Sandtiger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:15 pm

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Direct answer: Freebooterz

Longer answer: If you’re fielding one of the other clans, you’ll be able to include them in a Detachment without losing your Clan Kultur ANYWAY, although the Gitz won't benefit from that Kultur. So what do you want to play BESIDES Flash Gitz? And for that you're gonna want to look around here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... tur-index/
spruter

Postby spruter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 am

Oh wow I guess I missed that article thanks! I'm definitely going freebooterz!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:23 am

Aha, a subject I know a lot about! I actually run a flash gitz centric list often with my orks.

So, as Tomas said, Freebootas is the only clan kultur that benefits flash gitz as they work similarly to Militarum Tempestus where they always have that keyword instead of <kultur> and then they have a rule saying you can include them in any kultur detachment without breaking it. It does happen though that Freebootas is not a bad kultur, and it is one of the ones that most lends itself to staying mono-subfaction and not souping, so that is also nice.

So how do you structure a flash git list? Well, your gits are going to want to be 5-man squads accompanied by 5 ammo runts pretty much every time. Ammo Runts provide an amazing service to freebootas since their gun is actually worth re-rolling, and also because you can happily kill them when shot by plasma guns, mortal wounds, your transport blows up, etc. Then you'll want to provide the gits some kind of open topped transport to get them into the midboard where they can shoot at the enemy list with their 24" range guns. I use kilkannon battlewagons myself, you can use trukks especially in conjunction with a kustom force field they're nearly as good. The nice thing about the freeboota kultur is that it's a +1 to hit, making it a modifier, so a unit embarked on board a transport does actually benefit from it even though they're not on the battlefield as long as their transport benefits from the rule. Also, it is the only kultur from the base codex that gretchins can interact with: Freeboota Gretchins can trigger other units to get the +1 to hit.

So the third element you want in any good orky pirate list is a solid broadside, in the form of some Mek Gunz. I'd build them custom, because the mek gun kit is super expensive and ork vehicles like the battlewagon tend to come with a crazy number of random guns, extra plates, panels etc for you to use to make cannons out of. Kick the shooting phase off with a fullisade of smasha guns and see if you can use them to blow up a light vehicle or something, and your whole list can get a +1 to hit.

In terms of HQs you want, a KFF mek is pretty much mandatory to stand between any transports containing flash gits and give them that 5++ save, Weirdboyz are helpful if you want to run a distraction blob of ork boyz as one of your troops, and Shokk Attack meks are also dandy because they like to benefit from the +1 to hit aura just like any shooty unit does. There are a couple other sources of KFFs in the form of one of the planes and the Morkanaut, so you can swap the KFF mek for one of those if you like the looks of them. A morkanaut with the new +1 to hit kustom job and freebootas aura sounds CRAZY good to me personally, so if you like that model go for it. Kaptin Badrukk isn't terrible, but end of the day he's kind of a bad version of a shokk attack gun mek, as his aura can't benefit flash gits unless they're out of a transport in which case they're probably busy getting shot to death super fast.

Troops, orks have only got 2 choices. Typically freebootas want to go for either all minimum gretchin squads, or all min gretchin squads plus a big blob o' shoota boyz, who you teleport up the board using the Da Jump power from a weirdboy. Gretchins are cheap, and they've got a stratagem to soak fire intended for your flash gits - completely self-explanatory. Sadly the old standby of trukk boyz is pretty inefficient in 8th ever since trukks doubled in price from the 30pts they used to be for a basic tin can. even fully loaded up with a nob and a rokkit launcher, it feels pretty silly to put a 70pt boyz squad in a 65pt trukk.

And lastly in terms of supporting elements, everything you want to buy beyond your troops, HQs, and flash gits+Smasha Gunz firebase is going to be mobile, hybrid shooty/melee, and cheap. 3 units I'd recommend would be skrapjets, boomdakka snazzwagons and deffcoptas. The T5/4+ profile is perfect because you want to be tempting your opponent to shoot their heavy lascannon type weaponry at targets other than the flash gitz+Smasha Gunz core, which you're going to cover with a 5+ invulnerable save so it'll feel inefficient to burn high-AP shots into them. T5 is the least efficient toughness value to shoot lascannons at, and the buggies even add insult to injury by generally having exactly 1 or 2 more wounds than you can possibly kill with a single lascannon shot. In my eyes, the BDSW is the perfect exemplar of this strategy, because it's also -1 to hit, and now it even has a stratagem to once per game auto-pass any save. Have that thing screaming around making a lot of noise scoring you points and sitting outside the KFF bubble, and just watch your opponent burn through 4-5 lascannon shots trying to take its little 60-70pt ass out.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
spruter

Postby spruter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm

So my vision for these flash gitz List was a battlewagon or trukk that I kitbash with pirate ship models with wheels.

But the more I think about this a completely pirate navy would be amazing. I know it's not super tactically sound but I kind of want to make "no Landlubberz rule" (I have a habit of tactically sabotaging myself with these inane rules). Would 3 Fully Converted Battleships kitbashed as Battlewagons filled with flash gitz be tactically sound?

A battlewagon can hold 20 models, I will potentially have 10 Flash Gitz with 5 ammo runtz, or with your idea, possibly have 5 and 5 and then stuff 10 gretchin or Boyz in there to give me CP while having "no landlubberz allowed" rule in place. Maybe I could look to creating a dreadnought pirate ship that fits the Morkonaught dimensions and have that be my Kustom Force Field. Extra points could go to an Air Force maybe?

I'll write up a list to think about this tactically, but do you think this could be viable strategically or am I just being plain silly?
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 pm

New stratagem coming out according to Goonhammer (https://www.goonhammer.com/saga-of-the- ... view-orks/):
" Speshul Shells gives Flash Gitz +12″ range on snazzguns for a phase. It’s pricier at 2CP, and the Gitz are still a tricky sell compared to Lootas and Tankbustas, but low range was one of their major weaknesses and this helps a huge amount with that, so it can only help!"

Not much to add to Scott's review- I've used Megatrakk Skrapjets in place of Deff Dreadz because they're faster and cheaper. I also recommend the Dragsta b/c teleporting onto objectives is excellent.

IMO the competitive way to go with Orks is lots of Boyz + Weirdboyz to Da Jump them across the battlefield, but I appreciate Flash Gitz' shooty capabilities and have never been disappointed in their performance. You will definitely need to back them up with something to handle long range- Scott gave good tips.

For Pirate konversions, check out Khadaron Overlords. Or this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... unts_as_a/
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Heh, here's one of my konversions (though I'm building an Orc/Deepkin army)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
spruter

Postby spruter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 pm

That looks incredible!
spruter

Postby spruter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 pm

So Here's The LIst. This would be a battalion and Spearhead but I grouped them by Pirate Ship. Obviously I would need to have the meks get out of the boat each time to repair/ bubble the batlewagons, but I think this would be the direction I want to go. I'll make 1 battleship and we'll see how it works. If not I'll do boyz and da jump with battleship support Also this was me looking up datasheets online since I only have the points costs, not their loadouts or rules so if there are discrepancies it's because I messed up in some way:

Battlewagon Kannon, Killkannon 4 Big Shootas 170
19 Boyz 1 nob with Power Klaw 2 Rokkit Launchas 177

Trukk Big Shoota 64
5 Flash Gits 5 Ammo Runtz 145
Big Mekk Kustom Force Field Kustom Mega Blasta 84

Trukk Big Shoota 64

Trukk Big Shoota 64

2 Deffkopta twin big shoota and Kopta Rokkit bombs? 74
Last edited by spruter on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eisenfresser
Name: Steven Hirsch
Armies: IG Tanks

Postby Eisenfresser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:14 pm

I can help with the rest of the Deff Rolla sprue - the deff rolla itself ended up on my Defiler.
Game preferences:
+1 to going first roll if you finish deploying first
All terrain is "statuary"
No First Blood - it's basically a bonus VP for going first
Current Beta rules

Army
4,500 points of Imperial Guard
2,800 of tanks alone