Tamiya spray paint

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space marines

Tamiya spray paint

Postby Ukromarine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Hello, has anyone used tamiya metal spray paint for metal parts on vehicles in 40k? If yes - what exact color?
Heroes never die
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Tamiya spray paint

Postby MrScotty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am

I have seen/hard of people using tamiya paints to get something like an 'insect beetle shell" type of color on their necrons. Kind of a black with purple, blue, green shine to it, it looked really good. Other than that I don't see Tamiya get used that often, though maybe Pete (Swordsworn) might use it?

I believe it is not Acrylic, right? Some kind of oil or alcohol base?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:58 am

Tamiya sprays are lacquer-based, so they're some kind of alcohol solution. They typically don't play nicely with arcrylics. If you're looking stay all-acrylic, you might be able to get a similar effect with preshades and a transparent coat over the top.

For this Reaver, I did a silver basecoat and preshaded the recesses with Guilliman Blue and Athonian Camoshade. Then went all over with Vallajo Transparent Red. You might be able to adapt something similar for what you're going for?
IMG_20190319_071138638_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space marines

Postby Ukromarine » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:07 pm

I thought about getting the tamiya gunmetal spray can, but then decided to get a bottle of Vallejo Metal color gunmetal grey instead.
Heroes never die