Space Marines Codex 2.0

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
CHAPLAIN T
Name: Ian R.
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: ULTRAMARINES 1ST COMPANY

Re: Space Marines Codex 2.0

Postby CHAPLAIN T » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am

Having had the opportunity to quickly pour over the Ultramarines supplement in a video preview, I am FUCKING HYPED.

The relics, the psychic powers, the strategems all seem to be on point. Ultramarines are going to be THE definitive marine gunline army. With a bunch of tricks up the sleeve, its now possible to form a base of incomprehensible amounts of FUCK YOU, and if anything does manage to get close, the lines collapse on the threat (ie - close on the enemy like a character performing heroic intervention), beat the shit out of it, then fall back and shoot it to death with almost no penalties....

...And extra AP...

Its like the Ultramarines and the Tau had a TRANSHUMAN BABY.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:16 pm

CHAPLAIN T wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am
Its like the Ultramarines and the Tau had a TRANSHUMAN BABY.
I initially parsed this as "TRASH HUMAN" and lol'd

I'm tentatively excited for nu-Ultras... Seems like a good reason to dust off my blueboyz and see what's up again :D
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm

The only thing I really want to see coming to my Deathwatch beyond the universal rules is the defensive stratagems. Every single army I have that has gotten access to survivability boosts, I have found that I use like...80% of my CPs on those things.

Transhuman Physiology and Duty Eternal - I'm gonna end up using these near every turn if they come to my deathwatch.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 am

It seems to me that with the reduction in points to tactical marines, an increase in viable stratagems and a bonus for staying pure space marines that the tactical marine is a lot more attractive. I kind of think marines are going to be rather command point hungry like Tau. If you took minimally equipped intercessors and tacticals to fill out two battalions you end up with a 150 point savings with the tacticals. That savings may be worth it depending on your overall scheme. It will probably be pretty easy to spam stratagems early and run out of points. Which is good if two alpha strike armies are squaring up.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
CHAPLAIN T

Postby CHAPLAIN T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:29 am

Indeed, if the Ultramarines and Tau conceived a baby, it would most definitely be a heretical trash baby. lol!

Duty Eternal seems like a clear winner. Half damage, rounding up, for dreadnoughts. Now, a venerable dread might actually stick around long enough to get his punches in. Half the damage, then shed a wound or two on a 6 (venerable)...I could see that stratagem being the difference between death and a successful charge into the enemy's lines.

Transhuman Physiology is nice, but I wonder how effective it will be in practice. Most marine killer weapons are somewhere in the Strength 5-7 category, and so wound on +3s. You'll need a S8 weapon to wound on 2s in most cases, and if your opponent is shooting anti tank weapons at your infantry, well, you're probably winning already (and the volume of fire likely isnt too bad. There's not much out there that shits out volume fire of S8, right?). So most of the time, this stratagem will take away your opponents to-wound rolls of 3, but that's it.

I can definitely see it coming into play if the enemy unit is using its OWN stratagems to get something like +1 to wound against your marines, or some other deadly combo that stacks the wound dice heavily in their favor. THEN i think it will be VERY useful.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 am

my only hope and prayer for this codex release, is that they update all the Forge World stuff to give the rules to make everything apply to them also. If they did that, then I will be the ultimate happy camper!

One scary thing I heard on a podcast, is there is a whirlwind/thunderfire stratagem that affects KEYWORD "Whirlwind" and makes them shoot twice, with the second shooting doesn't have to be at the same target. This gives some wonderful things like being able to tremor shell two different units, or for me, two sets of 6D3 S6 AP-2 2D shots. Sweet Jeebus-All-Mighty!
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Connman234 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 am
two sets of 6D3 S6 AP-2 2D shots.
Relic whirlwind is already shooting twice, so if it shoots again (a third time) it's just going to be another 3d3 shots
CHAPLAIN T

Postby CHAPLAIN T » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 pm

That stratagem hinges on you having to fire at targets you cannon see. I dont know if that dampens anything for you or not, but I do remember it being a condition. A whirlwind scorpius firing twice is....filthy. lol

Ive heard that there have been some major improvements to the whirlwind too! I seem to remember its only 80pts now or something like that. Dirt cheap anti-infantry power.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

CHAPLAIN T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:29 am
Indeed, if the Ultramarines and Tau conceived a baby, it would most definitely be a heretical trash baby. lol!

Duty Eternal seems like a clear winner. Half damage, rounding up, for dreadnoughts. Now, a venerable dread might actually stick around long enough to get his punches in. Half the damage, then shed a wound or two on a 6 (venerable)...I could see that stratagem being the difference between death and a successful charge into the enemy's lines.

Transhuman Physiology is nice, but I wonder how effective it will be in practice. Most marine killer weapons are somewhere in the Strength 5-7 category, and so wound on +3s. You'll need a S8 weapon to wound on 2s in most cases, and if your opponent is shooting anti tank weapons at your infantry, well, you're probably winning already (and the volume of fire likely isnt too bad. There's not much out there that shits out volume fire of S8, right?). So most of the time, this stratagem will take away your opponents to-wound rolls of 3, but that's it.

I can definitely see it coming into play if the enemy unit is using its OWN stratagems to get something like +1 to wound against your marines, or some other deadly combo that stacks the wound dice heavily in their favor. THEN i think it will be VERY useful.
One of the best eldar stratagems is Lightning Reflexes, which is 2CP to give a unit -1 to hit for a phase.

If you use Transhuman Physiology and get -1 to wound versus a shooting attack, you are on par with the quality of LR. If you manage to get -2 to wound, you're getting twice the effectiveness of LR. most notably that helps a lot with Overcharged Plasma in particular, a common solution to primaris and Terminator units.

The downside of Transhuman Physiology is that an opponent can, after the first attack you used it, choose to fire only weapons that wound on 4+ or worse against that unit for the remainder of the phase, while LR remains a constant -1 to hit regardless of what you shoot, unless you have one of the rare units that ignores to-hit penalties. I think the upside of having a more efficient use case makes TP one of the best stratagems out of the new marine book.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
waddledom
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Space-marines

Postby waddledom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 am

Draaen wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 am
It seems to me that with the reduction in points to tactical marines, an increase in viable stratagems and a bonus for staying pure space marines that the tactical marine is a lot more attractive. I kind of think marines are going to be rather command point hungry like Tau. If you took minimally equipped intercessors and tacticals to fill out two battalions you end up with a 150 point savings with the tacticals. That savings may be worth it depending on your overall scheme. It will probably be pretty easy to spam stratagems early and run out of points. Which is good if two alpha strike armies are squaring up.
How many points are the tactical marines now? I need to know because that is literally 95% of my army, ,lol