Need advice on space wolves!

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
waddledom
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Need advice on space wolves!

Postby waddledom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:08 am

I found an amazing deal for a carrying case, well over 60 marines(some unpainted and most space wolf) and some vehicles, as well as two older codexes so I am picking up tomorrow and hoping I won’t have work this Sunday so I can test them out!

That being said, anyone who played/plays spacewolfs:

How are they? (Compared to other chapters)

Will the probably 20 year old codex still hold up for 8th addition?

And are 90’s miniatures still playable and/or tangible in the modern game?

Please do tell me, I would love to be playing these!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Re: Need advice on space wolves!

Postby Draaen » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:37 am

So not a space wolves player here but a couple of answers to your questions.

You beed to use the 8th edition codex. This edition was a big change from the old stat lines. However they are useful for painting references and lore.

Models from the 90s are totally valid. I still use mine.

Space wolves seem to be in a bit of a rougher spot with all marines. Not great not terrible.

Also peoe usually schedule games beforehand on tbe sundays games forum. Heading over to the bu ker without a game usually neans no game and you are hanging out.

Good luck with the wolves!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi there, so you would need the 8th codex and all models still have rules so any older models are still valid.

And how are they competitively? They have great strengths but notable weakness. The wolves can put out pain like few others can, that and they have an answer for virtually any threat in the current meta. They can be very shooty or very choppy so I go with a mix of both with an emphasize on a strong defense.

I may not dominate but I am very rarely tabled. The problem we are dealing with nowadays is board presence. The wolves are not cheap in points so fielding many models is tricky. That, and they are not durable. They excel best when working with allies but my wolves go to war on their own.

For Russ and for the Allfather.
FOR THE EMPEROR
waddledom
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Postby waddledom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 am

Kman2190 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:28 pm
Hi there, so you would need the 8th codex and all models still have rules so any older models are still valid.

And how are they competitively? They have great strengths but notable weakness. The wolves can put out pain like few others can, that and they have an answer for virtually any threat in the current meta. They can be very shooty or very choppy so I go with a mix of both with an emphasize on a strong defense.

I may not dominate but I am very rarely tabled. The problem we are dealing with nowadays is board presence. The wolves are not cheap in points so fielding many models is tricky. That, and they are not durable. They excel best when working with allies but my wolves go to war on their own.

For Russ and for the Allfather.
Thanks for the advice! I actually got these just yesterday. ( picked up early) and a good portion of these guys are broken..... So probably gonna be spending time fixing them up