Any interest in playing a custom-built space marine skirmish game?

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Any interest in playing a custom-built space marine skirmish game?

Postby MrScotty » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 am

So, for a few years now GW has been releasing their new version of Necromunda, based on a blend of 2nd ed skirmishy gameplay and modern 40k (Think Shadow War Armageddon, for those of you that were around for that at the tail end of 7th). it is a fun system, and with the last main gang being released I finally got to pick up a comprehensive rulebook.

Leafing through the wargear page, I said to myself "Huh, there sure are a lot of rules in here for Space Marine equipment. Almost all of it, in fact." I listed them out and the only items of equipment missing from the basic Space Marine loadout were powerfists and grav-cannons. Every other gun, melee weapon and heavy weapon you can take on a tactical squad had rules for necromunda's skirmish system - mostly as top tier type equipment.

So I worked out what I figured would be the stats for a Space Marine appearing in Necromunda. He came to about 700 points before weapons, with just a boltgun he was 3/4ths of the cost of a standard 10-15 man necromunda gang.

I thought it might be fun to run a little "movie marines" game with something like a 5-man space marine squad pit against waves of necromunda-level adversaries, with the enemies following semi-scripted paths almost like NPCs in a video game. Would anyone have any interest in playing something like that, maybe on an off-day after work?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Re: Any interest in playing a custom-built space marine skirmish game?

Postby Kman2190 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:39 pm

I like this idea, I have a few marines that need a good adventure. Would we do this once a week? Or would this be treated as an event?

Also, would we need to get the necromunda books? I am not familiar with its mechanics so I would need a crash course so I'm not flying blind lol
FOR THE EMPEROR
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:21 am

Kman2190 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:39 pm
I like this idea, I have a few marines that need a good adventure. Would we do this once a week? Or would this be treated as an event?

Also, would we need to get the necromunda books? I am not familiar with its mechanics so I would need a crash course so I'm not flying blind lol
Initially this would just be a one-off experiment, and i would provide a crash course in the necromunda ruleset. I would not advise you get the necromunda books, there is a staggering amount of supplemental content to that game we would not be using.

As a brief primer:

Your shooting, wounding, and close combat will be very familiar to you if you've played the new kill team. Necromunda has the same "if you're in long range you get -1 to hit, if opponent has cover you have -1 to hit" system as new kill team. It has a similar wounding system, where after you fail your save and you're on your last wound you make "injury rolls" to see if you get dead, though rather than getting completely taken out of action it is much more likely that you end up "severely injured" and only able to crawl unless your ally gets over to you and helps you up.

Shooting is the same as in current kill team except that there is an "ammo" system. Your weapons can run dry, and you'll have to take an action to reload them. Also, blasts and templates are back, because they're fun to use in a skirmish game system. Fighting is exactly like 8th ed 40k.

Actions unlike kill team are entirely model-by-model. You select one model, and it takes all its actions for the turn. A turn is broken up into two actions, and with one action you can move, shoot, hit someone if you're already in close combat, or take a scenario action like hacking a computer or rigging explosives or something. So "advancing" doesn't exist, it's just that you can choose to move 2 times during your turn.

My plan is to have the players collectively controlling a small squad of 5 space marines, while I as the GM control the NPCs, but until the NPCs are alerted they'd perform automatic "patrol" routines along set paths.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
The Titanz0r
Name: Swerd
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard, Black Templars

Postby The Titanz0r » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:12 pm

I enjoy narrative and skirmish-level games. Show me as interested.
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:19 am

sounds like a lot of fun Scott, let me know if you'd want a hand brainstorming scenario design or anything like that
Slayer03
Name: Cristian M
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Tau, Eldar Corsairs

Postby Slayer03 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:30 pm

I'd definitely be interested in something like this, it sounds really fun!