Adding a Riptide

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Adding a Riptide

Postby Draaen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

I've finally bitten the bullet and I've decided to convert up a riptide as a nice big cool converted centerpiece. However now I am looking at how to incorporate and use this guy so that he fits into my hyper aggressive and mobile scheme I've been having a lot of fun with. So I decided to take m 1500 point list and add the riptide and supporting units he requires to be effective.

1500 Point Core
2 x Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters
2 x Cadre Fireblade
4 x 5 Firewarriors w/ 1 markerlight
2 x Devilfish, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
2 x 10 Kroot
2 x 3 stealth suits, 1 fusion blaster
Ghostkeel Fusion Cascade, 2 Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Shield Generator
2 x Piranha - Fusion Blaster, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 x Firesight Marksman

So I have really good anti-tank, markerlight support, anti light infantry shooting and speed. I have little to no range besides the seeker missiles or high volume, multi-damage low ap shots. So I have decided to add in a riptide with a drone controller. No ATS means the Ion may be better then the heavy burst cannon but it also means I can bring shield drones AND sniper drones to form a bit of a death ball. The riptide provides a buff to the snipers which is hard to get and the drones provide protection to the riptide. Hopefully it can be tough and put out some good DPS too. The sniper drones let me take a brigade as well which should help with the CP.

Additional 500 points
Riptide - Ion, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, Drone Controller
3 x 3 Sniper Drones
3 x 4 Shield Drones (Maybe add a markerlight or 2 per squad)

So I can see the riptide squad able to move up behind the stealth suits and the piranhas. I can now kill weak characters, do mortal wounds or target anything that has range. I can add more drones around the riptide from the vehicles when they die or I let them go if the shield and sniper drones get wrecked. The sniper drones getting -1 to hit and the shield drones being T4 4++/5+++ they should be able ot keep up that riptide for a turn or 2 before any real damage gets through. Sa'cea largely takes care of drone morale.

What do you guys think?
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Re: Adding a Riptide

Postby The cosmic serpent » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:01 pm

I don’t think you need TL with the amount of ML you have. If you are lighting a single target then you should be able to hit the level on the chart to ignore moving penalties. You are better off taking EWO or VT. A lot of units in the game have fly and hitting on 3s (non aircraft) with ion is sweet. I would switch plasma to sms but that’s my preference. The more stuff you can shoot out of LoS the better.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Riptides when they have been used against me want to castle up and not move and shoot things. Are you taking that into account with the rest of your army being mobile while the Riptide stands still somewhere?
Fishwater
Name: Bill
Armies: Death Guard/Nurgle

Postby Fishwater » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 pm

At 2k, I feel like you either go 2+ Riptides or none. Though, if you want to run one, I think that amount of shield drones is great--not sure about the Sniper Drones, though. If points and $ allow, maybe fit in a 2nd Ghostkeel. Those turds work well in pairs and if your opponent ignores them for the Riptide then they will do work a vice-versa. With enough pressure from the rest of your list (assuming you can fit in another Ghostkeel) I think it would be on your opponent to have proper target priority calls. I do think if someone focused your proposed "death ball", it would crumble. Whether or not the rest of your force could pick up the slack is your judgement!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:56 am

Fishwater wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 pm
At 2k, I feel like you either go 2+ Riptides or none. Though, if you want to run one, I think that amount of shield drones is great--not sure about the Sniper Drones, though. If points and $ allow, maybe fit in a 2nd Ghostkeel. Those turds work well in pairs and if your opponent ignores them for the Riptide then they will do work a vice-versa. With enough pressure from the rest of your list (assuming you can fit in another Ghostkeel) I think it would be on your opponent to have proper target priority calls. I do think if someone focused your proposed "death ball", it would crumble. Whether or not the rest of your force could pick up the slack is your judgement!
So it's been a while since I started running this. Interesstingly enough I found that most people tended to ignore the riptides and its accompanying drones. Instead the focus was mainly on the tanks, kroot, ghostkeels and stealth suits. Due to the focused fire on those units which are fairly durable for their cost or disposable my main damage dealers of the commanders and the riptide were able to do work. I ended up removing shield drones and putting in marker drones. I guess the thought of chewing through 21 Drones to get to 1 Riptide was too much of an investment for my opponents.

I did end up adding a second riptide which made the list way more static. TBH money and time not a concern I think I would add another ghostkeel or two. They are an impact every game.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Fishwater
Name: Bill
Armies: Death Guard/Nurgle

Postby Fishwater » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah, having threat saturation with Tau is so key. Though, I do hope the 2nd Riptide worked out for you!