Hobby Goals: A Year In Review

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Hobby Goals: A Year In Review

Postby Memento » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am

Heyo!

It's the last day of 2018! It's been a banner year for 40k, for Games Workshop, and for the club. A bunch of new faces, new armies, and new miniatures. So I'm curious to know how your hobby achivements this year stacked up with your goals. Did you get to paint as much as you wanted to? Did you learn a new skill or technique? Do you have any goal or pledges for 2019?

Over the last couple years I've set the goal of painting at least 365 miniatures over the course of a year. In 2017, I barely squeaked by with that goal. This year I smashed that record with a whopping 553! And yet, somehow there doesn't seem to be much of a dent in my backlog...
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Re: Hobby Goals: A Year In Review

Postby MrScotty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm

My 2018 goal was to curb my spending and not to spend over 50$ in a single month on miniature gaming related expenses (with an exception that I could spend money freely that I had earned through commission work.)

That effort was successful and I was able to afford my one big army project on just commissions alone! This year my goal is to get my hobby spending down to just what I do for commissions, and also to keep up my hobby backlog tracking that I've been doing for a couple of years now. Currently I'm sitting at:

7 deathwatch terminators (built, primed)
2 MDF buildings for club terrain (built)
1 mek shop for completion of the ork terrain board project
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:38 pm

I had a goal where in winter, I painted a lot of my backlog that was spray primed. It was definitely a good chunk of my backlog, but impulses and whatnot didn't help. If I had to set myself a goal for 2019, it will be "Paint 2 box sets/squads, before I buy 1 box." Caveat is if I'm buying things that will be commission painted.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Postby Darth Hoodie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:15 pm

My "hobby goals" for 2019 seem simple but may prove daunting.

First and foremost, either myself paint or have painted ALL of my remaining Black Templars.

At present that consists of:
1 Primaris Captain
1 Limited Edition Terminator Captain
1 Redemptor Dread
10 Vanguard Vets
15 Assault Marines
5 Cataphracchi Termies
5 Tartaros Termies
3 Predators
2 Land Raider Crusaders
1 Storm Raven
2 Thunderfire Cannons w/Techmarine Gunners

I have elected that I will not purchase any more 40k until all of these guys are done.

Second, learn to play a second game, so far, Flames of War and Battle Group have caught my eye, luckily both can be played with 15mm models so theres that added bonus.
Last edited by Darth Hoodie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:11 pm

I missed a lot of my initial hobby goals but over all I think the year was pretty darn good.

I learned how to use a wet palette and resolved final basing and construction issues with some of my armies.

I've been able to do more sculpting and freehand painting which are areas I want to improve in.

I missed some individual unit painting goals but I finished other projects not on the list. Importantly I brought a lot of tabletop ready stuff to totally finished. I also definitely painted more models then I brought in. Very happy ton finally have 48 fire warriors all done. It just looks cool with all of them out there.

For me I am going to focus less on individual units which I ignored in 2018 and instead more general goals.
Practice wet blending and freehand. The daemons will let me practice the wet blending.
Get models out of a tabletop standard to a finished standard.
Team Canada backpacks,Storm Shield freehand and bases done.
Paint more models then you bring in.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.