Upcoming Event: 1500 point Narrative Game Day

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Re: Upcoming Event: 1500 point Narrative Game Day

Postby Darth Hoodie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Sandtiger wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:16 pm
Darth Hoodie wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Not gonna make it superbowl sunday.
Even if the dice roll is at 11? I can't imagine that it'll be hard to get home in time for the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl never starts early.
I dont think you understand how my superbowl sunday goes. Especially if the Patriots are playing. 8-)
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm

No lol clearly I don't, have fun
JudgeBredd
Name: Billy B
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Dark Eldar Kill Team, Sisters of Battle

Postby JudgeBredd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I am a greenhorn but I am super interested in narrative play. I have about 1000 points of sisters in a battalion detachment, and I am currently working on preparing about 500 points of Adeptus Custodes as a patrol detachment. Assuming I have followed the rules mentioned in the player's packet, does this army sound eligible for the event?
Gaze into the fist of bread!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm

JudgeBredd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pm
I am a greenhorn but I am super interested in narrative play. I have about 1000 points of sisters in a battalion detachment, and I am currently working on preparing about 500 points of Adeptus Custodes as a patrol detachment. Assuming I have followed the rules mentioned in the player's packet, does this army sound eligible for the event?
It sure would! The event will have some really out-there missions but a few practice games beforehand and you'd probably be good to participate.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
smbarne
Name: Stephen Barnes
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Raven Guard & Black Templar

Postby smbarne » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Quite interested if I can get the day free! Is there a signup or deadline to signup?

One note on the packet around deployment - have you considered switching to the new CA2018 style deployment? It’s feeling pretty nice and mainly to me it really helps speed up deployment. It works well with the recent beta changes and Prepared Positions as well.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 am

smbarne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:46 pm
Quite interested if I can get the day free! Is there a signup or deadline to signup?

One note on the packet around deployment - have you considered switching to the new CA2018 style deployment? It’s feeling pretty nice and mainly to me it really helps speed up deployment. It works well with the recent beta changes and Prepared Positions as well.
The event will be pay at the door (we'll pool the entry money we get and divide it up for prizes) but I'll throw up an unofficial sign up so I know hoa many tables to set up.

Most missions do use ca2018 deployment for exactly that reason. Some have setups that lend themselves better to u-go-i-go deployment (one of the missions features deployment zones that are a 6" radius around the objectives you placed during setup, with those objectives being portals you're fighting over)
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
RichHammer
Name: Rich Z.
Armies: Dark Angels, Daemons, 30k TSons

Postby RichHammer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am

You can count on my demons to show up for the forces of corruption.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Armies: Blood Angels

Postby Indy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 am

Sounds super fun, but I will be traveling that weekend. Enjoy!
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm

So I see that lists are to be built with matched play rules.

Will games themselves be played in Narrative style or will they be played with the Matched Play restrictions in force?
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Anacrucis wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm
So I see that lists are to be built with matched play rules.

Will games themselves be played in Narrative style or will they be played with the Matched Play restrictions in force?
Yes, and I should add this to the packet for sure - by default, Matched Play restrictions will be in place. However, several of the missions that contain thematic elements around a certain type of gameplay will circumvent those rules either by mission specific rules or stratagems (which is why you get extra CP). For example, you will see rules allowing you to deep strike turn 1, bypass standard Reserves restrictions, or standard deployment/psychic focus/etc.

Basically, my intention in calling it a Narrative Game Day is because whether the teams win or lose will affect the narrative and the mission being played, and also to prepare people that the scenarios presented will be highly unusual, rather than what you might expect from a "tournament".

I did consider dropping things like Psychic Focus, Reserves restrictions, boots on the ground etc, but I felt that with the missions being as different as they are and round time being limited, I wanted to keep people with a few things they find familiar. plus, I thought the possibility that someone might use those rules being lifted to bring a list that would give people negative experiences might outweigh the positive of people getting to bring lists that are a little more themed. "Here's my Chaos list, everybody's got Warptime" - that sort of thing.
Game Preferences: