Toms Quick Tactic Tip of The Week

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Re: Toms Quick Tactic Tip of The Week

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 am

Terminator_X wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
One trick Rich taught me is to use cheap character models to heroically intervene and lock up assaulting enemies, therefore preventing a more devastating pile-in and consolidate. If you can make it through an enemy fight phase without dying, then you're golden. Guard fortunately have access to a lot of these!
+1
Unless the character is also a target of the charge he can't be attacked by a unit that charged that turn.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am

Which really means that one should almost always consider declaring nearby characters as charge targets unless they have some crazy powerful overwatch weapon.
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am

Memento wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am
Which really means that one should almost always consider declaring nearby characters as charge targets unless they have some crazy powerful overwatch weapon.
Or they're tucked an infuriating 12.01 inches away and aren't a legal charge target.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 am

The Last Acton Hero wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 am
Terminator_X wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
One trick Rich taught me is to use cheap character models to heroically intervene and lock up assaulting enemies, therefore preventing a more devastating pile-in and consolidate. If you can make it through an enemy fight phase without dying, then you're golden. Guard fortunately have access to a lot of these!
+1
Unless the character is also a target of the charge he can't be attacked by a unit that charged that turn.
Though that kind of speaks to the counter to this little strategy: I can just declare that character if I want to, so if he opts to heroically intervene I can just smoosh his little face before he gets to fight. All it costs me as an attacker is tanking whatever overwatch the character has, which is typically like a bolt pistol.

What actually does work though, is something like this:

-Infantry squad deployed in a line, with little enough space between them to prevent the orks from charging through to the Commissar.

Commissar opts not to heroically intervene, because he knows if he doesn't, the orks have to waste all their attacks on the ten guardsmen, then the commissar is the closest model and essentially "locks" their COnsolidate move. If they don't consolidate, then he doesn't have to deal with orks getting closer to the tank. If they do pile in, he gets to attack, and almost certainly fall back because it's unlikely they can get close enough to surround him.

Bear in mind this method really only requires 3-4" total between the back of the infantry line and the front of the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Memento

Postby Memento » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am

Well... you don't even need it to be a character or single model. It could just be a secondary line of infantry or really anything else that can't be charged. A screen for your screen if you will!
CHAPLAIN T
Name: Ian R.
Armies: ULTRAMARINES 1ST COMPANY

Postby CHAPLAIN T » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Could you explain how that works in more detail? Soon I will have a few of these useless tax characters laying around that might be perfect for this tactic, but the subtle ins-and-outs of heroic intervention still escape me.

Activated, not activated. Charged, didnt charge. Eligible target, not an eligible target. What. The. Fuck.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:12 pm

CHAPLAIN T wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Could you explain how that works in more detail? Soon I will have a few of these useless tax characters laying around that might be perfect for this tactic, but the subtle ins-and-outs of heroic intervention still escape me.

Activated, not activated. Charged, didnt charge. Eligible target, not an eligible target. What. The. Fuck.
Heroic Intervention happens when your units are charged, and a character chooses to intervene. If the Commissar is not targeted by the charging player, he will be allowed to swing back without being targeted by the Orks. So once the Orks are all done with the Guardsmen, Mr. Hero Commissar will be able to kill a couple Orks, move away in the ensuing movement phase, and allow let's say a Leman Russ to shoot at the 30 Ork Boyz.

Is clearer?
CHAPLAIN T
Name: Ian R.
Armies: ULTRAMARINES 1ST COMPANY

Postby CHAPLAIN T » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Ahhh, yes. The picture is coming together. Thank you!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

A couple things to note though is that this strategy relies heavily on the tight spacing so that the orks can't physically fit through the bases. Meaning any shooting at the guardsman will require casualties be removed at the edges or you sacrifice the integrity of your defensive line. This leaves open the opportunity to include the commissar in the initial charge and if you get a large enough charge roll you could get some guys back there by running around the edges to punch him in the face. Further units that can activate twice or 2 separate units can declare charges against both the unit and the commissar. First unit kills the guardsmen and the second moves towards the commissar crushes him and then is free to move towards the imperial wrath dispenser. All of those require more resources then just an ork squad so even if it fails it will take pressure off other sections of your force or make your opponent feel it is not worth it.

If your xenos scum are also of the flying variety you can declare the charge on both the commissar and the guardsman. If your roll is good enough fly over their heads and you can fight them from behind. If you roll super well on the charge distance and you can land a guy closer to the imperial wrath dispenser then the commissar so when you pile in and consolidate that one guy will do so into the imperial wrath dispenser stopping it from shooting.

A good defense against weaker melee bullies trying to do this is to charge them yourself first so that they can't charge you when they fall back if you can survive the combat. Flying vehicles are typically tough enough to survive the punch back and can still fall back and shoot. You can also spend 2CPs to make your dudes fight out of order which can let you move into the enemies bases preventing them from getting that initial 3" move.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Memento

Postby Memento » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Yes. The number of "if/then" statements one might add to nearly any situation in the game are many. I think it's great because, if anything, this is a great example where simple rules don't equate to a simple game. There's a lot of nuance and thinking involved in gaining an advantage on the table. Carry on!