Recommendations for Airbrush accessories

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Blood Angels

Recommendations for Airbrush accessories

Postby Indy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Long-story-short, I plan on picking up an Iwata C-Plus airbrush (woohoo).

Any recommendations for compressors and other necessities to go with it?

Thanks!
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Re: Recommendations for Airbrush accessories

Postby effullbao » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:41 pm

I can't provide any specifics regarding brands and what not but I highly recommend that you invest in some ventilation. It's not so much the paint that you can see that you worry about but the fine paint particles in the air. A good respirator is nice but without ventilation, those particles are still lingering around like dust particles and get on your stuff.

I've been doing a lot of research on cadmium paint since art school. People swear by not spraying cadmium ever but it and other toxic metals are components of some Citadel paints as well. Non toxicity in art supplies is mostly relative. Cadmium orange is the only color I use with a cancer warning despite having at least 4 different cadmium based paints. Also know that there are stricter regulations in California (you can look at two dog toys of the same make and one might have the California warning and the other might not). To what degree, no one really knows but it's one of the things to be aware of.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there but in general, as long as you take any precautions, it's better than doing nothing at all.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Armies: Blood Angels

Postby Indy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm

effullbao wrote:I can't provide any specifics regarding brands and what not but I highly recommend that you invest in some ventilation. It's not so much the paint that you can see that you worry about but the fine paint particles in the air. A good respirator is nice but without ventilation, those particles are still lingering around like dust particles and get on your stuff.

I've been doing a lot of research on cadmium paint since art school. People swear by not spraying cadmium ever but it and other toxic metals are components of some Citadel paints as well. Non toxicity in art supplies is mostly relative. Cadmium orange is the only color I use with a cancer warning despite having at least 4 different cadmium based paints. Also know that there are stricter regulations in California (you can look at two dog toys of the same make and one might have the California warning and the other might not). To what degree, no one really knows but it's one of the things to be aware of.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there but in general, as long as you take any precautions, it's better than doing nothing at all.
There's an interesting thing to think about. Thanks for the heads-up!

I plan on having a setup with a fan near a window, as well as some other factors.
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Postby PrideofVulkan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:39 pm

I use the tcp brand compressor and spray booth. They work well. My wife is very scent sensitive and when the booth is running I get no complaints from her.
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 pm

A quick note, Vallejo scents their paints. It's not toxic I don't think, it's more there to let you know that you sprayed something in the air. I'm told if you have a good respirator, you won't smell it at all but don't be surprised if your models smell fruity afterwards.
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Postby PrideofVulkan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Tamiya and future floor wash also have fruity scents.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Postby The cosmic serpent » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am

PrideofVulkan wrote:I use the tcp brand compressor and spray booth. They work well. My wife is very scent sensitive and when the booth is running I get no complaints from her.

I second this, I have been impressed by how little scent or particles are floating around when spraying inside a TCP spray booth.