Straight outa Cadia BLACK LEGION 2500

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Straight outa Cadia BLACK LEGION 2500

Postby MrScotty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am

Well there's two problems. First, I own both a dunecrawler and a defiler and the defiler is like easily twice the size. They look similar but the defiler is very different.

And second, the part of me that adores when someone tries REALLY REALLY HARD and fails spectacularly loves the defiler model. It's so beautifully not menacing or scary. Hes' my daemon engine of choice because A, hes good in game and B, he's so very very bad looking.

The big problem shared by all daemon engines is that pair of 4+s right there in the beginning of the statline, and that many of their guns are Heavy. You can generally either make them good at shooting, or make them good at melee by just warptiming them in and throwing Diabolic Strength on them then popping Daemonforge, but both is trickier.

Diabolic strength hits that Maulerfiend on his first profile juuuuuuuuuuust right, bumping his claws to S14 and his tendrils to S8, perfect for chewing through tanks. A diabolic mauler on daemonforge deals 14 unsaved wounds to a standard T7 tank.

I think it can be a preference thing for sure, because they are so similar it's down to what you tend to like, and I don't think any of the triad of Defiler/Mauler/Venom is bad per se. Forgefiends are for sure the red headed dinobot child. 30 points more than a venom for a little tiny bit more shooting that basically requires you to spend 2cp on Daemonforge and Infernal Machines, I'm not a huge fan.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:52 am

Scott I have to agree with you, the forgefiend seems like it has no place in the meta right now it's just a whole lot of weird all wrapped up into one model. I may end up finding a way to squeeze in a defiler just for the psychological warfare aspect of having on in a list. People tend to get scared of big models but its so cheap points-wise there is not much invested in it when it dies.

The hope is to cover the Disco Lord in buffs to keep him alive in the hopes of getting him into combat and doing what he do.
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:05 pm

UPDATE!!!

If the initial reports from Chapter Approved are to believed the Chaos Book is going to get a MASSIVE points drop across the board. Given where the list sits now with the extra points savings I am going to have I have a few revisions. My initial idea is to see where things shake up with the points drop and make use of a few other tricks.

First and foremost is to use the Council of Traitors Stratagem to give my Dark Apostle and Terminator Sorcerer a WL Trait in addition to Abbadon.
Bringers of Despair Detachment and the WL Trait First Amongst Traitors to turn my Sorcerer into a captain for my Terminators. Prescience and re rolling 1s to hit? Yes please! Give them an Icon of Excess and they get DTTFE on a 5+ Anyways, so I wont need to send Abbadon in with them.

Dark Apostle with the "Benediction of Darkness" Prayer and the "Trusted War Leader" WL trait for that 5+ CP farm and a 5++ Invul Bubble.

Abbadon is going to be retasked with Anchoring my second wave. The Two Butcher Cannon Contemptors and wait for it 90 CULTISTS all FEARLESS because of Abby AND with a 5++ from the Dark Apostle along with FULL RE ROLLS!

Going to cut back on my initial number of Tactical Marines and use them to screen out my Deployment Zone and as ablative wounds for Buried Lascannons...

Send the Venomcrawlers, Demon Prince and Discolord up the table first, followed by Abby the Dreads and the Cultists Swarm.

Like I said I need to figure out where points are going to sit after the Chapter Approved 2019 is fully released. I will likely need to make a few cuts but I feel like this could prove very difficult to deal with.

Do you spend your time blasting away at 5++ invul save medium vehicles OR do you try and dump 90 5++ Cultists WHO CAN JUST TIDE OF TRAITORS BACK ONTO THE BOARD!!!
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"