new Maelstrom of War rules

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

new Maelstrom of War rules

Postby Connman234 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Hey guys. Found this article. Apparently the new White dwarf had some new Maelstrom of War rules in their battle report. What are people's thoughts and would they play with them?

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-new-mael ... ou-part-1/
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Re: new Maelstrom of War rules

Postby Kman2190 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm

There's alot of potential. I'm loving the idea that we can build deck a la Shadespire and more enthused that GW is not shy from expanding their established platforms by introducing popular gaming mechanics (e.g. build-a-deck).
I'll happily try this out, it'll give my Maelstrom battles a new flavor.
FOR THE EMPEROR
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 am

Eric (Carbon Magos) and I tested out the new maelstrom rules. I HIGHLY Recommend testing them out! It was a lot of fun (on top of an already fun game), and it made it so I didn't feel like I had any "useless" cards. Every card in my deck was purposefully picked after analyzing my army and thinking about "Do I have the capability to do this as something my army would normally do". It also didn't feel that I couldn't get a lot of points. In two turns, I had an easy possibility of 10 Victory points (STUPID ZOMBIE ROBOT! STUPID DENY THE WITCH STRATAGEM! :) ). In my opinion, even if they don't put these rules in CA2019, this will be the only way I play Maelstrom in the future.

If people are interested in the official rules and not just from the article, they are in the June White Dwarf. They have copies at the bunker.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Postby spruter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:41 am

I always loved Maelstrom of War, but I was annoyed by the number of useless cards. I always shrugged it off as "Bad Luck" but I'm pleased to hear that they addressed the issues of that game mode. I would love to try that set out sometime.