Cities of Death Campaign Write Up

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Cities of Death Campaign Write Up

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 pm

I wrote up my cities of death battle reports and musings on one of my tau forums I frequent. I kind of most people on the forum wouldn't so would find it interesting. While taking pictures I told people I would post them upon completion of the campaign. Since the campaign has terminated here are the reports. All posts will be included in chronological order. Be warned this shall be lengthy!

Thanks for running this Spencer!
Last edited by Draaen on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Draaen

Re: Cities of Death Campaign Write Up

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 pm

So my local club has decided to do the map based campaign for cities of death. Since I think campaign story lines are cool and have 0 cities of death experience I thought this would be something people would enjoy reading and a good place to review my games and army design. The campaign session 0 is April 7th so we will go from initial prep and learning to completion of the campaign.

First let us go over the rules:
Full cities of death rules in effect including hazardous zones like the crippling acid rain.
+5 command points for cities of death stratagems
One character is a custom character who has 6 buffs. Buffs determined by selecting from 12 randomly rolled buffs. Unusable buffs are re-rolled.
Due to the large number of people there will be 4 teams. So maybe there will be some 2 on 2s but probably still 1 on 1s I just won't have full control of the map strategy.

So this all is quite a significant departure from the standard 40k. Let us review what we need to worry about with cities of death.

Cities of death changes:
Obscured can give me -1 to hit based off of line of sight
Heavy cover can give +2 to cover saves
Additional AP if higher
All objectives in buildings
Non-flying units move faster on roads
Acid rain just makes shooting units want to cry. Basically everything is obscured and shoots at half range.
Oodles of stratagems which is probably deserving a post all on its own.

-1 to hit rolls is something Tau generally struggle with. The acid rain seems particularly horrifying. So my base assumption going in was that Tau were not the optimal choice and a smite spam/melee style list would be better off with these rules changes. However we are not without our bag of tricks as well so acknowledging I was probably at a disadvantage I waded into my first battle to test out the rules. I used my standard latest and greatest list to see how it would handle with the exception of taking on of my commanders as farsight enclaves for the fusion blades for the buffed character :).

My List
Sa'cea Brigade
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters, Puretide Engram Neuro Chip
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
2 x 3 Stealth Suit Squads 1 fusion blaster
1 Ghostkeel Fusion Collider, Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Shield Generator
1 Riptide, Burst Cannon, SMS, ATS, Drone Controller
4 x 5 Fire Warriors MArkerlight (one squad had a marker drone)
2 Devilfish Burst cannons, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 Piranhas Fusion Blaster, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
2 x 3 Shield Drones, 1 Marker Drone
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

Farsight Enclaves
Cold Star Fusion Blades, 2 Fusion Blasters
Character Rules (I rolled all on the abilities table)
Re-roll all 1's for Farsight enclaves units within 1
1 Free Re-roll
1/2 Damage
Regen 1 hit point at the start of each turn
Overwatch on 5's
Can't rememebr the rest it was pretty underwhelming

His List
Imperial Fists (Ignores cover is really good in cities of death lol)

His Special Character
Smash Captain with Plasma Pistol
T5
+1 Str/ Attack when within 1" of a character
Fall back 3+D3" in any direction (Amazingly Strong!)
5++ Feel no Pain
1 Free Re-roll
No overwatch against him

Jump Librarian
Jump Lieutenant with Power Fist

2 Rhinos with plasma tacticals
2 fancy dreadnoughts with autocannons and power fist - Sorry no idea on pattern!
1 Fancy Dreadnought with 2 autocannons and a missile pod.
1 Forgeworld Dreadnought drop pod
1 Leviathan dreadnought with 2 horrifying autocannons!
1 Drop pod with a 10 man plasma tactical squad
1 Callidus assasin (The one with oodles of attacks)

So we decided for our first game not to use any of the special effects like acid rain.

Mission Setup: Tactical gambit maelstrom with dawn of war style deployment. My opponent had 3 ruins in his deployment zone I had 3 in mine with big streets in between the 6 major buildings.

General Strategy: Snipe his special character. Otherwise be aggressive zone out his drops and assault his tactical marines.

Deployment:
I deployed a unit of kroot on both flanks. My right flank had both units of stealth suits and a ghostkeel in a forward position. A majority of my army was deployed in a central castle in range or my commanders aura. I had a good spread of marksman giving me line of sight all over. I had initially assumed we were using acid rain so I would be obscured and ruins were dangerous terrain so my stuff was pretty open when the change happened. He deployed in a central castle with his dreads and rhinos taking cover in the ruins.

He seized initiative and went first. My central ruin was enhanced to deny deepstrike within 18" my rioght ruin to grant a 4++ and his central ruin to generate a CP on a 5++ if you control it at the start of the game.

Note: We had a learning experience with scoring so I will mention scoring at the end.

His First Turn:
He moves his rhinos and dreads into the center with the rhinos obscuring the dreads. 5 combat squadded marines jump into his left and center ruins. His shooting destroys a piranha, reduces a second to 1 wound, kills 3 left kroot and kills all my sniper drones.

My First Turn:
I move up aggressively in the center. I string out my units to deny deep strikes except in the left back corner by the kroot. I use wall of mirrors to get my stealth suits into assault distance of his central objective. Most of the army is now in the center of the battlefield with both devilfish on my right flank and my 2nd stealth suits occupying his building on the right as well with the kroot able to capture either and providing a deep strike denial zone. My shooting sees both rhinos killed, the double assault cannon dread and one of the twin dreads dead. I assaulted my stealth suits into the tacticals in the central ruins and my 1 wound piranha into a unit of tacticals which disembarked. The piranha dies dropping his drones and the stealth suits live.

I believe I am ahead in points and field position at this point

His Second Turn:
Leviathan dread and company come down in his deployment between his left and central objective. The assasin goes to my left corner to go kroot hunting. His army that can moves forward and boy with the stealth suits and the drones from the piranha so far forward he had a hard time getting into useful postions. However his shooting kills my protective drones on the riptide and reduces it to two wounds. His dread and tac squad charge in and manage to finish it off with a well timed honor the chapter. He got might of heroes off on the leviathan dread. His Assasin Killed my dread and then piled into a firesight marksman on a building top.

My Second Turn:
The lone piranha races towards the leviathan dread. Let out my firewarriors in the streets closer to the center and move up the rest of my force into the central street. The firesight marksman dies when falling back but I have two drones to claim that objective. My shooting kills his dreadnought and 5 man tactical squad in the center. I kill a handful of marines with my fire warriors but all the fusion plinked off of the leviathan. My fire warriors assault into the tac squad in the center and manage to claim the objective getting me some more points. The piranha made it into the leviathan dreadnought shutting him down a turn.

I believe I have extended my lead in points considerably. I believe I am ahead in field position but a good counter punch could hurt that. The leviathan dread is scary and I need to hurt it!

His Third Turn:
The Callidus assasin lines up my drones to kill them. His tactical marines move to fortify the central objective the leviathan falls out of combat. His jump characters line up my ghostkeel and a commander who shot at the leviathan. Shooting killed some fire warriors and the piranha. Might of heroes went on the smash captain. The smash captain then got a great charge onto one of my commanders the ghostkeel and a devilfish. The commander dies, the ghostkeel is reduced to 7 wounds and the devilfish is destroyed.

My third turn:
Frankly here I mess up big. I got greedy and lined up my fusion on the T8 leviathan dread but need to really kill the librarian and the smash captain. Most is still in the center but the commander jumped into his central objective. Shooting sees the librarian die the captain reduced to 3 wounds. His tacticals in the ruins are killed. I did 2 wounds to his leviathan dread. My big error was tiny. The ghostkeel assaults into the leviathan dread. I assaulted his smash captain with my full devilfish a unit of stealth suits, a marker drone and a stealth drone. He kills both stealth suits opening a hole he can fall back out of. Remember that 3"+D3" fall back in any direction? Well he fell back out of combat which left my remaining cold star very vulnerable...

I now look to have a ridiculous lead in points but I am going to lose field position quickly.

His Fourth Turn:
Leviathan dread falls back Callidus assassin threatens and assault against my firesight marksman in my central objective. The commander dies the devilfish gets hurt all my stealth suits are killed and I only have a handful of fire warriors remaining.

My Fourth Turn:
Initiate project point grab! I run a lone fire warrior into his central objective to claim it. My kroot on the right flank claim both his and mine right flank objective. Shooting is largely ineffective killing some tacticals. He heroically intervenes into poorly placed gun drones... not my finest moment lol!

I now have a commanding lead at this point we believe the score to be 21 to 8 or something. Field position is abysmal

His Fifth turn:
he moves in for the kill the assassin gets close enough to attempt a charge against my firesight marksman on my central objective. The ghostkeel and all but 3 of my firewarriors are dread. He does fail to kill my warlord though!

My fifth turn:
Time for a warlord kill. I line up my shooting such as it is to shoot at the captain. I reduce him to 1 wound. I charge with everything I can. He kills my devilfish who blows up and kills his warlord and my warlord.

He has begun to close the considerable gap in points but I still am claiming some points.

His fifth turn:
To no ones surprise he tables me. and claims points. From her he tries to gain some points.

The game goes the distance to turn 7. With us realizing our scoring was off he went to 28 points to my 25.

Takeaways:
I feel I lost the game in large part to T2/T3 my poor positional play giving up my commanders. I struggled to remove infantry in cover especially with MSU marines. I controlled the board well and survived his alpha well. Even his beta came down to one failed 3++ to keep the riptide up. So I am still pretty happy with he overall performance. I didn't obscure my drones well. Since the hover getting them obscured is pretty tough. I will need to think of formations to give them cover.

I tried to bite off more then I could chew by going through the center. I could have instead moved my force more towards the right flank when I saw that Toughness 9 on the leviathan dread and my riptide dying.

As far as adjustments I think I should have my character get the ignore cover warlord trait. Then I should take high output burst cannon, MP and a burst cannon with weapon upgrades and some traits. It would help me clear out chaff. I'm thinking the riptide is not the right choice so I think I might get rid of him add in a 3rd cold star add in more stealth suits with some ATS and a drone controller. I could also put the sniper drones in the devilfish to start off with to protect them because I can play a strat to ignore cover for them. If they get the height advantage and can snipe my opponents special character I will be way ahead. Cause that smash captain was nuts.

I also don't think I need to redo everything either. He ignored cover, the terrain favored the defending army and his character was way better then mine.

Stars of the Game:
1st Star: Kroot - What you didn't hear me praising them grabbing both objectives giving me oodles of victory points. I wasn't killing much past T1 so these guys get top marks
2nd Star: Cold Star commanders - Fearsome while on the board!
3rd Star: Ghostkeel - Killed vehicles, got the only wounds on the leviathan dread and tied up the dread.
Dunce Cap: Sniper Drones/Riptide - Pretty disappointing performance. I chalk this up to me not playing them right though as they have been great in my last two game.

Time to retool and get ready for the next match!
Game Preferences:
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 pm

So I was pretty disappointed with the character upgrades I got and their lack of impact on the game. Further while I can make adjustments to my list during the campaign I cannot make adjustments to my character skills once we start. Therefore I decided to put in some thought into how to optimize my character bonuses.

I basically have 3 tables of abilities, weapon mods or stats. With 12 rolls it is possible for me to have a 1/3 chance at any particular skill, able to get any ranged weapon upgrade or choose from the stat upgrades if I make enough selections that I fill out the whole list. So let us analyze what we can get. I plan on making a cold Star Commander the special snowflake.

Abilities:
This can include super awesome buffs such as through unity devastation effect, sniper rules and re-rolls vs warlords. Or it can include less useful buffs like heroically intervene 6", heal 1 wound at the start of turn or get +1S and +1A on the charge. This table could be amazing or it could be almost useless.

Weapon Upgrades:
There are only 6 ranged weapon upgrades so if I put in for 3 weapon upgrades I 100% get what I want. Some awesome abilities include +1 shot, +1 damage, AP-1 or +1 Str. All of these could be good no matter what weapon load out I take.

Stat Upgrades:
If I invest all 6 upgrades I can pick and choose. However some of the best bonuses would be +1 Bs, +1 Armor, +1 Invul, +1 T and +1W. The poor ones include +1 Str and +1 attack which is very poor.

So I think the best bet is to take 3 weapon upgrades to get my assured bonuses. I would take +1 damage, +1 Shot and an additional AP. Then I could roll on the abilities table and hope to get lucky. The ideal is I get the ignores cover ability. If I don't then he will become my warlord and take the cities of death warlord trait so he can ignore cover. I may get a stinker on abilities but I don't think I can get the same potential positive return in stats.

Generalist Loadout:
High Output Burst Cannon - +1 Damage
Missile Pod - +1 Str
Fusion Blaster - +1 Shot
Fusion Blaster

So with the generalist load out I can kind of keep the same battlefield role as my other commanders -1 shot but I get way better anti-infantry abilities. I would plan on getting my additional AP by getting higher.

Anti-Infanty Loadout:
High Output Burst Cannon - +1 Damage
Missile Pod - +1 Str
Plasma Rifle - +1 Shot
ATS

A rapid fire 2 plasma rifle sounds nice and the extra AP on the burst cannons would be very nice. That would be 14 quality anti-infantry shots from this guy.

QFC Loadout:
Fusion Blaster - +1 Damage
Fusion Blaster - +1 Str
Fusion Blaster - +1 Shot
Fusion Blaster

Main bonuses are an extra shot and Str 9 to help with knights and stuff. It is pretty darn nice but I don't think I gain as much as the other load outs tbh.

So I think I go with the generalist load out and see how he does in my next game! Now to work on the list I will be bringing.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 pm

So I gave my new look souped up commander a go and left the list pretty well the same. I moved the points I saved into drone controllers on the stealth suits to add a bit more flexibility with my sniper drones.

His Ultramarines List
Calgar (primaris version)
Tigurius
Banner with the 3+ shooting relic
Lieutenant
2 x 10 Intercessors (made into veterans)
2 x 5 snipers with cammo cloaks and sniper rifles
1 Repulsor
1 Redemptor Dreadnought
2 Dreadnoughts with autocannons and power fist (not sure what variant
10 devastators w/ 4 las cannons
5 Hellblasters

His special character never really mattered.

My Sa'cea List
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters, Puretide Engram Neuro Chip
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
2 x 3 Stealth Suit Squads 1 fusion blaster, 1 Drone Controller
1 Ghostkeel Fusion Collider, Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Shield Generator
2 Devilfish Burst cannons, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

My Hero Cold Star
High output Burst Cannon - +1 Damage
Missile Pod - +1 Strength
Fusion Blaster - +1 Shot
Fusion Blaster
Warlord Trait - Ignores Cover
Relic - Mortal wounds on infantry in cover
3 Misc skills that didn't come up

So we did maelstrom and got hammer and anvil deployment. Our mission had us draw three cards per turn up to a max of 6 and losing heroes made us lose active cards.

He had to deploy 1st and set up his infantry and vehicles so that they were obscured or in cover. His scouts deployed in forward ruins and his characters hid behind his repulsor behind a big central building. The twin Dreadnoughts were on the flanks looking to dominate fire lanes with the redemptor in the center. The las cannon devastators weer in the back left corner

I deployed heavily on my right flank so that all my units in my deployment zone were obscured. My kroot were moved up aggressively in order to claim some buildings. Ghostkeel and a stealth suit squad were deployed on the right flank and the other stealth squad was in cover more towards the center overlooking the road on the left flank.

My general strategy was to make his first turn shooting suboptimal and punish anything in the road. Ideally the redemptor or the repulsor would be dead. I wanted to snipe his characters but we both deployed too defensively to make it worthwhile.

His First Turn:
Pretty much everything moves forward except the redemptor, devastotors, scouts and the left flank dreadnought. A large intercessor squad is in the left flank road and the intercessor squad on the right flank is up in a building. The repulsor got might of heroes. The redemptor and gaggle of characters moved up the centere opens fire killing both units of kroot and my ghostkeel. He begasn claiming defend objective 2 which was a building on the left flank between our deployment zone.

My Turn One:
I declare Mont'ka and move my riptide and accompanying drones onto the right flank up high in a building. The vehicles and commanders break to the left flank opening up lanes of fire. Stealth suits move into the central building and onto objective 2 which I also had to defend. My shooting saw the redemptor die, 8 of the left street intercessors, 7 of the right building intercessors, the scouts on objective 2 (thanks to my hero commader) and 4 of the scouts in the central objective. A further 1 of the right intercessors flee due to morale. I begin to defend objective two.

Score 1 to 1
Field Position: Super duper happy ignoring cover was paying dividends. The sniper ignore cover and riptide ignore cover allowed the sniper drones and the riptide to wreck the right flank primaris. My opponent was not optimisitic at his prospects of winning. But with all those seeker missiles I usually get that reactiom T1 and things begin to turn T2 onwards and the score was even so I wasn't comfortable yet.

His Second Turn:
His 2 left primaris run onto objective 2 denying me defending it. His gaggle of characters and the repulsor move up the center. His hell blasters and his 2 right intercessors move up into the central building looking to assault my stealth suits. His right dreadnough begins trudging towards my riptide. His repulsor got might of heroes again. His shooting sees some drones die, some wounds on both stealth suit squads, a devilfish and a piranha die. He assaults my central stealth suits with his hellblasters and intercessors and kill them.

My Second Turn:
I got slay the warlord so I wanted to kill Calgar! My commanders moved onto Objective 2. My fire warriors got out into a building overlooking the street and central building courtyard. The piranha lines up a fusion blaster shot on calgar and the devilfish moves up to block the street. I lit up the repulsor and shot my Riptide into it activating blood in the streets and plungin fire giving me re-roll wounds and an additional AP-2 to my guns. The repulsor died to this single volley. The intercessors and hellblasters died. Calgar was reduced to 1 wound but I was unable to finish the job. I assaulted my devilfish hoping to run calgar over and deny him a charge into a potentially exposed commander, but predictably calgar lived and severely damaged the devilfish. 8 Wounds halving damage is very survivable! I began defending objective 2

Score 2 to 2
Field Position: At this point I should not lose this game. My opponent decides he wants to continue playing it out though.

His Third Turn:
He basically stood still killed the devilfish and shot drones.

My Third Turn:
My sniper drone who took down a knight nicknamed Titanslayer kills Calgar and we call the game.

Thoughts on the game:
The difference a day makes! This opponent knows how to play the game exceptionally well so I was very pleased to have handled him so efficiently.

I think I deployed so well that his damage was really limited T1 and I used my speed to get really good shooting angles T2. I knew my tricks to ignore cover and I used them well. I was prepared for the rules set and my opponent was not basically. The only real mistake I saw was my deployment of my ghostkeel and its drones. I thought the stealth drones would live but they got taken down quick and easy opening up the ghostkeel. The kroot and stealth suits absorbed oodles of fire. My kroot in ruins were -1 to hit with a 4+ save and my stealth suits were -2 to hit with a 1+ save. The kroot took oodles of shooting T1 because they were troops on objectives.

The better designed hero commander was awesome killing a unit in cover each turn. My only question is do I do 4 weapon upgrades and 2 skills or stick with the 3/3 split.

1st Star: Riptide
2nd Star: Commanders
3rd Star: Kroot
Dunce Cap: Ghostkeel

Next week is the 7th where I build the hero commander and he is set for the campaign. Not sure if it is another practice game or the first game next week. Either way I have family up the next two weeks so I will miss the first couple games. I hope my teammates aren't too bumbed about that. I am at least feeling confident I can make it a game against anyone they put me up against when I do get back though.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Campaign Kickoff
So session 0 for the campaign started and we rolled up our characters. I rolled up my special character and here was my result. My fists were ruled a weapon so I needed to roll on the ranged weapon table. Luckily I got my really important ones in my first couple rolls.

Cold Star Commander - Erasmus
Weapons:
High Output Burst Cannon - +1 damage
Missile Pod - AP -1
Fusion Blaster - +1 Shot
Fusion Blaster

Additional Skills:
Allies within 6" can use his leadership
Wound rolls of 1,2 or 3 are automatic fails when targeting this character
May consolidate D3+3" in any direction

Which means any of my ideal skills were missed. No character sniping for this guy. However He certainly got a significant boost and should be useful in any game. Hopefully the defensive skills are never necessary but they may just save his life.

Note: For simplicity I am merely going to call my character Erasmus in the future for my lists as it takes up too much space otherwise.

General Campaign Strategy Thoughts:
I was put on team 4 along with a primarily dreadnought blood angels player and a guard teammate. Hilariously the guard player I have played a couple of times and he has Tau trophies all over his models. Matches will be decided by a team declaring an attack on a sector and then declaring which teammates will participate. The defender then determines the match ups.

1500 Point Practice Game Vs Genestealer Cults

With the character creation and campaign set up taking time we pared our lists down to 1500 points. My opponent wanted to play against my riptide so I changed my usual 1500 Point list on the fly.

My List:
Erasmus
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
Devilfish Burst cannons, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 x 3 Shield Drones, 1 Marker Drone
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on the new character names for these guys! This is my first time playing them

His List: (Cult of the Four Armed Emperor)
Primarch - Special Character
Basically he got to cast an extra psychic power, was tougher, better in melee and had -1 to hit.

Magus
Gunslinger
Aberrant Boss
The planner guy
The two pistol character sniper guy
Another new character that increases charge range
One other character who got sniped before I saw what he did...
2 x 10 of the cheap shooty guys with some mining lasers
10 of the cheap shooty guys with flamer and shotguns
1 Rockgrinder
5 Neophytes with hand flamers
2 x 15 neophytes with 4 rocksaws
7 Abberants with Picks
Armored sentinel with flamer

Mission
We got cut off the head, conflagration effect and the long able edge triangle. We chose 3 characters to have intel points (Me: commanders + Fireblade Him: Magus, the charge range increaser and the other guy who died too early for me to know what he does). If our intel characters lived after T3 we gained points and if the intel characters controlled the objective at the start of our turn we got a point. The conflagration could make buildings block line of sight and hurt models inside it.

He deployed first and deployed entirely in blips and deepstrikes. In response I deployed my main army centrally in a building with the exception of kroot, 2 firesight marksman and a fire warrior squad who spread out to deny deep strike.

After deployment I upgraded my central building to give a 4++ save and a my right flank building to deny deep strike within 18". My Opponent made his central building allow him to re-roll 1's. I lost the opportunity to seize. My kroot on the extreme right flank spread out in cover to deny future deep strikes. My kroot on the extreme right flank moved forward into cover.

My main building lights on fire!

His Turn 1:
He revealed his army mainly on my left flank. The armoured sentinel and a shooting squad deployed in the center. One shooting unit and a He moved his rock truck up and had some ineffective shooting.

My Turn 1:
I Montka and lose a couple drones to dangerous terrain. My main force moves onto the left flank. A piranha moves far forward on the left flank. The other piranha moves up the center and the kroot advance into ruins which were more centrally located. The devilfish flew up into the main building to get line of sight on the rock grinder. My shooting sees the rockgrinder die, the central shooting squad and 4/5 of the hand flamer guys in the rock truck. I put out the fire in my main building.

Score: 1-0 for first strike
Board Position: I've protected my riptide and commanders. He will have to come out in front of me and target piranhas or kroot with his initial charge. I also killed his one vehicle and the shooting squad in an ideal support position. I am very happy but worried I may have missed some cult trickery.

His Turn 2:
Everyone but his Primus, pistol character abberants and abberant champion come out of reserves. a 15 man melee squad came in on my right flank lining up my kroot. The other melee squad lined up my central piranha along with his other characters. His shotgun squad marched up to my left flank piranha. In his psychic phase he tried to mind control my piranha but failed to do any damage. His shooting phase put damage onto the piranhas and some left flank kroot died. HE then assaulted my left flank piranha with his shotgun squad. My central piranha was only successfully charged by the central 15 man melee squad and my right kroot were assaulted by the other 15 man melee squad. the left flank piranha lives at 3 wounds, the central piranha dies, the right flank kroot die.

My Turn 2:
The left flank piranha lines up the magus deep in enemy territory on the left flank. Two droens move forward on the left flank to keep up the deep strike bubble. The devilfish in my central building flies into a burning building jsut to the left of the middle of the battlefield. The central piranhas surviving drone flies to the right of the central objective for height advantage and deepstrike denial. The commanders move back to the main building and line up targets in the center and right flank. Shooting sees both 15 man melee squads die, the armored sentinel and the one character who I never really got to know get sniped. Of note my quad fusion commander whiffed vs the sentinel but Erasmus killed the sentinel and like 5-8 of the right flank melee squad.

Score: 1-0
Board Position: I weathered the initial storm but the big boys still need to come out. Again they will be in poor positions. I also killed an intel character while mine are safe so I am very happy and confident.

His Turn 3:
The special patriarch comes in from behind my riptide. It was this guys first trip out so we decided he should at least get a shot at something worthwhile. The dual pistol character did a deep strike stratagem so he could appear within 6" of an enemy but not be able to charge. He did so in the center and lined up my quad fusion commander. His abberants and abberant boss appeared in the center. Psychic saw the Sa'cea +1 LD prevent the riptide from being mind controlled or mind spiked. He got might of heroes on his patriarch. Shooting saw some left flank kroot die. The abberants assaulted and the charge character assaulted my gun drone on the right of the center. His patriarch assaulted my riptide but I could not over watch due to a special rule. His shotgun squad assaulted my left flank kroot. The gun drone dies and all but 2 of my shield drones die to the patriarch. The kroot live through the initial assault and deal some damage back on the shotgun squad.

My Turn 3:
The riptide falls back towards the center, the kroot stay in combat and my devilfish carrying my intel character move towards the objective but out of heroic intervention range of the aberrant boss. Everythign shuffles a little bit closer to the center except the commanders who give a wider berth to the aberrants while being within range. Shooting sees his patriarch die, his pistol character, his magus and 4 of his aberrants. Erasmus single handedly killed the patriarch

I have 3 of my intel characters alive and his charge bonus character is alive. So I get 3 points he gets 1.

Score: 4-1
Board Position: Looking at a tabling and the ability to score at will. Very confident

His Turn 4:
The aberrants move towards the riptide and the aberrant boss moves towards my devilfish. His charge bonus character moves onto the central objective.Shooting sees my devilfish reduced to 3 damage. The aberrants assault the riptide and lose another model. The aberrant boss assaults the devilfish. The devilfish survived combat and the riptide passed it wounds off onto drones. At this point my opponent conceded

Breakdown:
This list was more static and less aggressive then I would have liked. However again he had to come to me when I could get into a high position. He had juicy targets I could focus down with my main firepower while my commanders and sniper drones killed isolated targets.

I was lucky not to be affected too badly by the psychic shenanigans. However with a Ld of 9 I don't think he would have killd my riptide nor could he have killed my commanders. Therefore I don't think it would have made a difference. I was able to zone out the first mind control so that his only good choice was the piranha.

It was a resounding victory and validation for the current scheme. I am getting much more comfortable with this setup. Also winning by this large of a margin could be more to do with rolling well. There were times like with the sentinel where I whiffed with a commander but could recover with Erasmus. However there were times I made long shots and got lucky and did a lot of damage.

First Star: Cold Stars
Second Star: Sniper Drones
Third Star: Riptides
Dunce Cap: None

So the first campaign mission is next week but we will then go on hiatus for a local tourney and Easter and pick up the campaign on May 11th. I'll be able to play next on the 27th so I will miss the first week.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 pm

The campaign kicked off while I was helping my brother look for houses so I missed the first week. I figured though I would go through the campaign portion of the campaign.

Team Composition:

Orange Team - Team Save the Civilians
Tau - Me!
Blood Angels
Mech Guard

Red Team - Team Cult
2 Genestealer Cults
Tyranids

Green Team - Planetary Defenses
Salamanders
Ultramarines
Admech/Knights/Guard Soup

Blue Team - Team Purge
Adeptus Custodes
Ultramarines
Black Templar w/ Assassins

Initial Map Setup:

Teams were able to choose map corners based off of the tea composition which the campaign organizer determined to keep them as fluffy as possible. Decision order went Red, Green, Blue and then Orange. After which each team got to pick an unclaimed piece of territory in reverse order. Green team argued team save the civilians and planetary defenses were natural allies so we had a tentative truce with green despite green being in a good position to attack us.

Since I was not going to be there for the first week I didn't really discuss map plans with my team mates and trusted in their discretion since I would not know what order we would be going in or the mechanics.

My blood angels team mate went early and went into th center and successfully defended it from red team. His whole army was in 2 storm ravens and he just had to get 1/3 of his army across the board for that narrative mission. A poll has been created as apparently some people were unhappy with the balance of some of the narrative missions.

Green lost their most valuable point to green. Green took an empty spot next to blue.

So I think we came out really good. We got the most valuable spot on the board and prevented red who had the best raw numbers at the start of the campaign from expanding. We are in an interesting spot positionaly since we can be attacked by any team across almost all of our squares. I think managing red will be important for us as we are going to need to make sure we don't cut them off so that they can attack blue or green and not just us. With 4 players and relatively little mobility on the board I think our team is poised as being a big target so we will have to be ruthless and maybe turn on green if they cannot keep their house in order and push out blue. Greens corner had some really high value campaign points which if we could take a good chunk would put us in a strong potentially dominating position.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm

So the campaign continues after a long hiatus. Due to the unpopular narrative missions there was a slight format change. The campaign phase will be completed at the end of the game day so that the narrative scenarios can be played properly or vetoed. There may be some people who tailor for the mission however it will not be part of my game or analysis. I will continue to refine my list based off of the challenges I encounter.

My opponent was a salamanders general and we were playing for order on the campaign phases rather then territory. My list remains unchanged.

My List:
Erasmus
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
3 x 3 Shield Drones, 1 Marker Drone
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

My opponents list
Captain in Gravis Armor - Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword, Storm of Fire, Warlord
- Ignores cover
- +2" Movement
- +1 Attack on the Charge
- 1/2 Damage
-1 LD bubble
- S 5
Captain - Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Shield Eternal, Thunder hammer
Primaris Lieutenant - Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
Chaplain in Terminator Armor - Storm bolter
Apothecary
Company Ancient - Boltgun
10 man Tacticals Plasma pistol, Power axe, Heavy bolter, Plasma gun
5 man Tactical Squad - Meltagung
10 man Tactical Squad - Plasma pistol, Power sword, Plasma gun
10 man Devastator Squad 1 Missile Launcher, 3 Las Cannons
3 Eliminators
5 man cataphractie terminators with lightning claws
Stormtalon Gunship - Twin assault cannon, Two Lascannons
Razorback - Storm bolter, Twin lascannon
Razorback - Storm bolter, Twin lascannon
Rhino - 2x Storm bolter
Rhino - 2x Storm bolter
5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad - 3 Combi-Melta
5 man Vanguard Veteran Squad - Lightning Claws and Storm Shields

Mission Set Up
We played scars of battle with no environmental factors. It was dawn of war deployment and I deployed first. The 6 objectives were 1 in his back left flank, 1 in his center, 2 in midfield buildings by the center, 1 in my central defensive building and 1 in my right flank building. So an odd Asymmetrical pattern.

Since I was deploying first I wanted to leave my mech ball in the center ready to spread out. I spread out my marksmen in the back buildings. My kroot went onto corner guard duty. The ghostkeel and 1 stealth suit squad went onto the left flank and the other stealth suit unit went on the right flank more towards the center. I did leave out some fire warriors and the fire blades in cover. That way I could get better marker lights or have them hop back into their devilfish if that was better.

My opponent spread out a lot. A rhino with 10 marines was on the back left flank by that objective. The captain, standard bearer, lieutenant , apothecary, devastators, eliminators and a razorback deployed in his central building. His two more tanks were slightly on the right flank and his flyer was in the back right corner. His smash captain, chaplain, terminators and his vanguard vets went into deep strike.

He failed to seize, my Kroot spread out in the corners to deny deep strike, I reinforced my central building to be an 18" deep strike denial zone and I went first.

Note: We decided we could not discard any objective since the mission did not say we could. Not sure if this was right

My First Turn
So my first cards I drew were to hold my back right objective (easy), defend the middle left objective (Doable) and take his central objective (Impossible T1). So my game plan was to spread out and get some fire warriors onto his central objective. Since I might get dead cards I would need to make sure I could try to get any objective. I also wanted to zone out his deep strike. So my kroot stayed back and everything moved forward. Pretty exclusively onto the mid left objective. Shooting saw his back left rhino and devastators die. I reduced a razorback to 1 wound. No seeker missiles fired due to his good positioning. I decided not to kill his eliminators as I wanted to see what they woudl do with a round of shooting.

[image]https://i.ibb.co/K0TxvBR/20190505-133710.jpg[/image]

His First Turn
His central castle and tanks move forward in the center and his flyer flies down into my deployment zone lining up my riptide. His shooting sees a unit of sniper drones, a piranha and 2 shield drones die with one shield drone running away. He assaults my right flank stealth suits and kills one.

He captured one objective, I captured and defended one. We both got first strike
My Score: 4
His Score: 2
Field Position: Amazing and really could not be better.

My Second Turn:
My cards are capture and defend his central objective and defend my central building. I advance a devil fish, piranha and 2 gun drones from the other piranha onto his central objective. Since he has no troops on the objective I just need to kill the eliminators to outnumber him. My ghostkeel, left stealth suits and devilfish move up the left flank. The right stealth suits move over to the right deny deep strike zones. The commanders hop onto the left central objective and the riptide with his drones hops onto my central building with nice LOS to everything. My shooting sees 2 of his back left marines, all the eliminators, a rhino and the flyer die. A razorback was reduced to 1 wound but I did not want to kill it as his tacticals could have hopped onto his central objective denying me a path to eliminate a car or two. I also reduced his marine squad that assaulted my right stealth suits to 3 models.

His Second Turn:
His deep strikers are forced to come down in a clump in his back left flank. His meltagun vets line up my right flank stealth suits. His characters shuffled around to assault my drones and piranhas. His shooting saw damage to my devilfish happen and my right flank stealth suit die. His assault phase saw the smash captain and chaplain get in against my ghostkeel reducing him to 5 wounds. His characters killed all but one drone in the building and reduced my devil fish to 2 wounds defending his objective.

So I got a capture and defend and he got two points.
My Points: 7
His Points: 4
Field Position: I have pushed his assault elements into a terrible position. If I aim right I can legitimately take and hold that central objective.

My Third Turn
I had defend his central objective, capture 1-3 objectives he had (3 or D3+3) and defend some other objective. I decided to go for the 3+D3 by flipping 3 objectives. I unloaded my fish into his central objective. I repaired my ghostkeel and moved him onto the back left objective. Left stealth suits moved into a high position over the back left objective. Both devilfish (2 wounder acting at full) moved into firing position on the deepstrieks on the left flank. I unload the other fire warriors and fireblade in that position as well. My commanders fly up to line up shots against his warlord. The riptide and sniper drones line up the 3 remaining marines on the central right objective. Two drones move onto that objective. The kroot move forward to line up shots. Shooting sees his marines contesting objectives, his commander and vanguard vets die along with 1 stern guard veteran.

His Third Turn
His terminators and chaplain move towards my fire warriors that shot at them. The smash captain chases the ghost keel. His characters move to assault my commanders. His shooting destroys both devil fish. One devil fish blows up and damages a lot of my units and his. His assault phase leaves the ghostkeel at 1 wound. I interrupted combat fought with Erasmus and then had him fall back 5" away so with the 3" pile in they could not catch him. He kills some fire warriors and the fire blade on the left flank. At this point he concedes

So I got oodles of points
My points: 12
His Points: 5 or 6
Field Position: Imminent tabling nothing integral to the operation of the army was lost.

Breakdown:
The army worked well. I had a good advantage going first but honestly he deployed well and limited what I could shoot. The only exception being the devastators being so exposed. I think I won this because the could not effectively punch me back in any meaningful way. His points were hidden in rhinos or deep strike. So the speed and positioning allowed me to put him on the back foot. Claiming his main building T3 was surprising. To be honest I left a gap in his back left flank because I think I could have almost entirely removed his deep strike area and I wanted to at least let him put his models down.

I do think my deployment was good though. I was able to compete for every objective and I think I had a response against anything he did and if he seized.

MVPS:
1st Star: Devilfish - Got my fire warriors onto his objective which was critical.
2nd Star: Riptide - That long range fire support is insane
3rd Star: Kroot - Allowed me to focus on moving forward. My oponnent told me he was looking at back zone deep strikes.
Dunce: Sniper Drones - They killed stuff but nothing game effecting like being able to remove a key character.

Campaign Phase
So purchasing order went Blue, Orange(Me!), Green and Red.

Purchasing Phase
Blue - buys an upgrade to make it so that there is a 50% chance their most central area is not captured, gets 5 campaign points. free relic and warlord trait from areas

Orange (Me!) - +1 Campaign Point territory upgrade and claim an extra territory. Gain 1 campaign point on a D3# for free

Green - gets +1 strategy point on their corner territory

Red - doesn't do a lot since they were being controlled by the campaign organizer

Capture Phase:
Green tries to reclaim their previously stolen special area with 3
Orange captures a territory on the flank and then attacks a 2/1 red territory with 1 army (Me!)
Red Attacks the central objective again with 2
Blue takes an uncontrolled territory by red on the south side of the map

So my two allies will defend the center and I will go on the offense. After the whole narrative scenario debacle there is talk of just doing a 2v2 custom scenario or something. If we can hold the center and capture the red territory we will be in a pretty dominant position.

Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm

So this is another practice match as the campaign was put on hold for a week due to mothers day. I was playing against some space wolves and I requested we play with the pollution rules in effect.

Pollution Rules:
Everything is obscured
All cover is soft cover
All units not in ruins get -1 T unless it is a T7 vehicle or higher
Maximum range of weapons halved except pistols and grenades
All ruins count as dangerous terrain

So going in everything having -1 to hit and half range this seemed pretty harsh. Further space marines go from T4 to T3 in the open which doesn't really change my wound rolls. Since most of my list operates at 18" (now 9") I figured the key to winning would be jumping on key units and accepting some losses in return.

My list was pretty much the same but more single units of marker drones to help with T1 markerlights.

My List:
Erasmus
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters, Marker Drone
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
4 x 5 Fire Warriors MArkerlight (Two squads had a marker drone)
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

My opponents list
Lieutenant in Phobus Armor
+2" Movement, +1 St, +1 Damage on melee, +1 S bolter, Ignore wounds on 1,2,3 and 1 free re-roll.
Psyker in Phobus Armor
Psyker with Jump Pack
Bjorn
2 x 5 Wulfen with thunderhammers and storm shields
3 x 1 Cyber wolves
5 Intercessors
5 Phobus Troop guys
3 Aggressors
2 x 3 Primaris Snipers
5 Space wolf tacticals
1 Primaris Dreadnought
1 Space Wolf Flying Gunship

Game Setup
So we got floating objectives. However since the objectives per the campaign or city fight rules need to be the building we decided they would not drift on the wind but merely award a point to the owner of the building. Classic dawn of war set up and I got to deploy first

3 objectives were on his side of the street on the 3 most central objectives. My 3 objectives were on my side also central but the one on the left flank was much further on the left.

My strategy was simple per usual. Deploy in the center with the mech ball so that I can spread out in any direction my opponent decides to take this game. My kroot and stealth suits deployed on the flanks to be harrasers.

My opponent decided pretty well on a frontal charge deploying most of his army in the center with anyone who could deploy forward being in nice positions up high in the center. The one exception being the phobus troop guys who deployed deep in my left flank with a cyber wolf crouched on the deployment line ready to pounce. His gun boat startd on the left flank aimed at my center.

The space wolves seized initiative and went first.

I move my kroot into cover. I reinforced my central building to give a 6+ feel no pain and the building on my right flank to allow units inside to deny. Pretty shocked that I got to deny stuff! My opponent reinforced one piece of terrain to give the 6+ feel no pain.

His First Turn
My opponent moves forward in the center with everything but the snipers. His phobus boys on the left move towards the kroot on my left objective building. Gunboat flies down the left flank and the primaris dreadnought moves down the left flank. Psychic phase sees my opponent smite my stealth suits but be denied by my kroot! He then successfully smites my ghostkeel for 3 damage and give it -1 to hit. He then plays the stratagem that makes a snowstorm so any of his units within 6" have an additional -1 to hit. Shooting is ineffectual reducing the left unit of kroot to two models and killing a stealth suit on the right flank. The pollution is a fierce ranged deterrent!

My First Turn
The mechball moves forward with the commanders behind the wall of metal. Ghostkeel moves up against the flyer on the left flank and the stealth suits hop down to shoot it as well. Right flank kroot move up to threaten his right flank objective held by snipers and the riptide and drones move onto the 6+ feel no pain building overlooking the center of the battlefield. I played the master snipers stratagem with Montka so I ignored all the hearty negatives and killed the rune priest removing the -2 to hit! My shooting sees his gunboat reduced to 6 wounds, 1 unit of wulfen killed, 1 unit of wulfen reduced to 2 models, 1 cyber wolf killed and one sniper killed.

I scored first blood
My Score: 1
His Score: 2
Field Position: I killed the rune priest! That was objective #1. Further the Wulfen are way reduced. I can't hold my left most objective on my turn for sure so he will outscore me but I have really bloodied his nose so his counter attack won't be as fierce. His counter attack will be against devilfish and piranhas though so I am quite happy.

His Second Turn
He puts his flyer into hover mode the phobsu armored troops move onto my left flank objective and the cyberwolf lines up the two kroot. The primaris dread moves up onto a building. The aggressors, remaining wulfen and bjorn with his loyal cyber wolf moves forward to my line of metal. His space wolf tacticals move from his central objective to reinforce his right objective from the kroot. His shooting sees the left piranha die and his snipers remove my quad fusion commander. He charges my ghostkeel with his wulfen, my left kroot with his cyberwolf, my right piranha and full devilfish with the cyberwolf and Bjorn. Bjorn is reduced to 4 wounds. The ghostkeel is reduced to 3 wounds, the kroot are killed, the piranha and devilfish also perish with the devilfish blowing up causing a decent bit of colateral damage. His Aggressors also charged the left devilfish and did 2 damage.

My Second Turn
Erasmus flies up in his right objective. The ghostkeel moves further up the center and is healed to 6 wounds. The stealth suits get in cover and line up the gunboat on the left and bjorn on the right flanks. The kroot move into his right building. The fire warriors moved into firing position on the aggressors and Wulfen. My shooting sees 1 wulfen die, the aggressors die, Bjorn die, the gunboat die, 1 sniper in the right objective die and his phobus psyker die. I assault the remaining psyker with the kroot and the commander and the commander takes another wound.

He scored 3 points for his objectives and I scored 2 points for mine
My Total: 3
His Total: 3
Field position: Great. His major threats are removed. I have celared him off of one of his objectives and in a turn or two I could take or threaten the others on his side of the street.

His Third Turn
Everything moves to shoot the kroot. He reduces the kroot to 4 models in shooting. His space wolf tacticals die to Erasmus in overwatch. My opponent concedes

Breakdown
Still trying to figure out exactly why the match was so one sided besides relative codex strength. Ultimately the rain hurt me a lot but it hurt him a ton as well. Being able to remove his defensive trick while he could do nothing about my drones meant my riptide was able to deal death with impunity. I was able to use my speed to focus down some models and bring more of my shots to bear then his. I think though this game came down more to one list overpowering another rather then the relative skills of the generals. I also got some very lucky saves. I think they all balance out but some key ones I was lucky on.

All that said though I can fight and win in the acid rain with this list against a well balanced list. This was something I was not sure I could do and not only did I do it but I did it convincingly.

1st Star: Sniper Drones - Killed Bjorn and the Rune Priest which were at the time both priority #1
2nd Star: Erasmus - Killed Wulfen, tactical squad, phobus librarian and a sniper
3rd Star: Riptide - Killed 4 Wulfen and the aggressors
Duce Cap - Left Flank Kroot - Did not capture or hold an objective.

Next week the game will count for the campaign. Thankfully it won't be in the smog because that was difficult to play around!
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm

I have been putting some thought into my current marker light situation. At the moment I am getting one unit lit up to 5 markerlights, 1 markerlight on a bunch of units thanks to the Sa'cea stratagem and maybe a second unit up to 5 markerlights turn one if I get super lucky. Part of my issue is that 6 of my markerlights are typically starting inside a devilfish. This means they do not benefit from my turn 1 Montka and have to move. This is potentially a -2 to hit penalty for moving and the target being obscured! I try to reduce the impact of having the markerlights that moved shoot targets with 4 markerlights. Still the fire warriors ideally stay in the fish T1 and unload forward dakka at a key location T2. Since a lot of my scheme revolves around seeker missiles turn 1 I would like to improve my chances to do really well with them. So let us run some numbers of where I am at now as a base line.

Markerlights before last game - Unmodified Sa'Cea chance / With -1 to hit
3 Firesight Marksman - 89% / 67%
2 Marker Drones - 75% / 50%
2 Fireblades - 97% / 78%
4 Fire Warrior Shas'Uis - 75% / 50%
2 Avg Markerlight Strat - 100% / 100%
Total Hits - 11.1 / 8.6
1st Turn Hits - 6.2 / 5.0

Importantly I am Sa'Cea sept so my race is not really to 5 so much as 4 since the first markerlight is a gimme meaning I want 8 or more 1st turn hits to give myself a 50/50 chance of getting two units to 5 markerlights. Before I was at between 6.2-5.0 Turn 1 on average which matches my description of how many marker light hits I was getting.

Now I have a couple potential solutions I think work
Convert shield drones to marker drones
Deploy fire warriors and fireblades in ruins by the devilfish. (2+ save thanks to improved cover)
Add marker drones to the fire warriors in the devilfish and then have them hop out and get by the riptide T1.

I decided to go with the last option as it increased my flexibility and took better advantage of the Sa'Cea re-roll. Here are the numbers

5 Marker Drones - 75% / 50%
2 Fireblades - 97% / 78%
Total Hits - 13.4 / 10.1
1st Turn Hits - 8.4 / 6.5

So 1st turn if I am looking at 8.4-6.5 marker light hits. Meaning I have close to a 50% chance of getting at least two units to 5 markerlights. I could almost guarantee it if I let out my fire warriors or at least some of them first turn. I think this is the best balance between T1 efficacy and durability with the shield drones. If I made my drone units 2 shield and 2 drones I could increase my marker drone count by two. Let's look at that.

7 Marker Drones - 75% / 50%
2 Fireblades - 97% / 78%
Total Hits - 14.9 / 11.1
1st Turn Hits - 9.9 / 7.5

That would definitely get me there and allow me to degrade into late game while still being able to achieve 5 markerlights. At the moment people are not shooting my drones because there are so many around the riptide. They are also not shooting the riptide because of the volume of drones. So I think I could get away with less shield drones.

So I think I will try out the 2nd option because I am overall happy with the list atm and I think a series of small tweaks will do me better. If I downgrade too many of the riptides defenses the target priority may change. Also the drone units may become important targets in and of themselves rather then a chore to chew through. When the riptide is not a target I can forgo the command point expenditure of branched nova charge. My CP burn rate is already high enough without consistently doing a branched nova charge.

My next game is this sunday against nids. I should have a decent match up against them since I can take on their gribbly hordes or their big bugs. My main concern would be their -1 to hit bubbles and their fast fore ward pressure. I'll either need to alpha hard and clean up or split up so that their forces cannot reach a critical mass against the bulk of my force. I always look forward to playing nids as my cousin used to play them so they are an opponent I sparred against a lot a long time ago.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:00 pm

So it appears my game is against the genestealer cult whom i had a practice game against inpost #5.

I won that game if I remember so let us look at what he brought think about the mission and come up with some tactics for the list. Note I am whole heartedly against any alterations to my list I already have not decided on. I am merely thinking in terms of how I may want to move and act with the army I have.

Known Scenario Variables

His Previous 1500 point List:
Cult of the Four Armed Emperor)
Primarch - Special Character
Basically he got to cast an extra psychic power, was tougher, better in melee and had -1 to hit.

Magus
Gunslinger
Aberrant Boss
The planner guy
The two pistol character sniper guy
Another new character that increases charge range
One other character who got sniped before I saw what he did...
2 x 10 of the cheap shooty guys with some mining lasers
10 of the cheap shooty guys with flamer and shotguns
1 Rockgrinder
5 Neophytes with hand flamers
2 x 15 neophytes with 4 rocksaws
7 Abberants with Picks
Armored sentinel with flamer

So some shooting but mostly choppy dudes. He will add in 500 points so there is a lot of room for him to add in different elements and his list could have changed since then. However I still expect a mostly choppy with some psychic and shooting support.

The earthquake makes it that any unit without fly cannot advance. This hurts his army a lot and my army only a little.

He will have +1 Relic, can reroll any seize attempts or the roll to go first and he gets to choose a hazordous terrain. That hazardous terrain either isn't a large concern or is pollution which has multiple nasty effects. Half range weapons, -1T if out of cover, cover only gives +1 to armour saves and everything is obscured and has -1 to hit.

I have no special in game effects as we focused on the board position.

The mission is yet to be determined. As it is a special location we should do the shuttleport mission. However looking at it it is almost a guaranteed T2 win for me so I am recommendng a standard match play mission to keep it sporting. Most of those for city of death are table quarters with a 9" bubble in the middle. Typically my least favourite of the deployment maps for this style of list. Almost all of the missions revolve around capturing more objectives so I will need to move forward but that is what my list is designed for.

Let's Talk Tactics
So the first thing which jumps out at me is that most of my guns are range 18" which halved is 9". The blips which my opponent likes to use mean I cannot physically get within 9" of any unit if I go first. So most of my guns will be off if I go first. I did ask him if he was willing to come to a compromise on that T1 since I moved away from the auto win shuttleport mission. For the purposes of this analysis we will assume the worst and that I am fighting in the rain.

If I go first then I have few weapons which can reach them let us look at my options.
Sniper drones - 24"
Riptide - 18"/15"
Fire Warriors - 15"
Kroot - 12"
Seeker Missiles - 30"
Markerlight - 18"
Missile Pod - 18"

Really the only shooting which is worthwhile in there are the seeker missiles, sniper drones and the riptide. However if I get really close with those guys he will potentially assault something important. Since he will use the blips then he can line up a T1 assault against any target he wants.

So then the gameplan will be to spread out stay out of assault distance with the infiltrators and be ready to move up turn 2 and then do my damage and limit his deep strike placements as much as possible. If I get lucky I may be able to fire off my seeker missiles or snipe a character. I also will have to use the orbital Ion beam strat cause he would be clumped up and this list has a good number of command points.

With my army held back for a T2 Beta strike he will probably move forward and the shooting may kill a piranha and some kroot.

Turn 2 I would need to be big but mainly I need to move super aggressive with piranhas and sink them deep in his lines to deny deep striking from his cult guys. Then we kill/neuter the forward line. His troops deply well out of position and by the time they get into position I will be jumping on them. Importantly my piranhas may have to leave their drones way far in the back to make sure I am not getting bugs in the back. I also really want to get the 18" deep strike denial in the back so that I can keep my army forward.

I think that plan looks good to deal with the 9" bubble.

Interesstingly while my accuracy will be reduced so will either his toughness or cover save. This is really relevant on any T3, T5 or T6 unit but less so on T4 units. My pulse fire basically gets +1 to wound against those targets which helps counteract the -1 to hit. They could have gotten that -1 to hit already so that seems like it could be in my favour if I can force him to fight in the open. My stealth suits, sniper drones and ghost keel will be almost unkillable at range. Further the commander can use neuroweb system jammers so his shooting should be hitting very irregularly.

I think if I can stick to that game plan I can kill my opponent while keeping board control and that should give me a good shot at the win no matter what scenario.

If he goes first he will move up and be unable to assault or advance. Shooting will be ineffective. I can move forward and kill a target or two I want. I will havea hard time to get the desired board coverage so this is more dicey for me but the principles remain the same. Hop over the forward elements kill whatever is most important due to field position and deal with his deep strikers T2+ and really try to limit his mobility.

Now you know my thoughts let us see how well this plan survives contact with the enemy. It should certainly be evident to my opponent something like this is coming out since we have played each other before and see each other at the club fairly frequently. So he may throw something wierd at me. I would say for him if he actually deployed everything as a blip it would be the worst for me. Usually people don't like to do that although he might. I will put some thought into what to do about a large horde T1...
Game Preferences: