Spring Cleaning: GDG Needs YOU!

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sons of Horus

Spring Cleaning: GDG Needs YOU!

Postby Darth Hoodie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:54 pm

Hey everyone! It's been a good while since I hopped up onto my "We need to clean and organize the gaming area!" soapbox lately and now is as good a time as ever to bring up the subject again. Spencer and I have spoken to Matt (The gentleman who owns The Bunker" and he has approved some "significant changes" to the layout of the gaming area in order for us to better utilize the space we have available.

In addition to clean up and optimization of the gaming space, our terrain DESPERATELY needs some serious reorganization, along with some minor repairs. Guys, the terrain at the club is proof of our club dues being put to good use and is the product of countless hours of work from Scott in painting it all. We really need to come up with a better system for storage and start taking better care of our investment, if we want to continue to enjoy the best selection of terrain around!

My biggest pet peeve is that our scatter terrain can often be in disarray, we need a better system for keeping like pieces together.

I am posting this post for two primary reasons.

First and foremost within the next few weeks, I am hoping to recruit some help from our members for a cleanup/reorg night. It would most likely take place on a weeknight and a half dozen or so sets of hands would be ideal. I want to canvas the crowd and figure out what times and dates would for anyone?

Second: I want to open the floor for "ideas" for terrain reorg and storage? Does anyone have any brilliant ideas or groundbreaking developments in the department of terrain storage? By all means feel free to open up and share on this post, shoot me a PM or reach out to me at the club.

Looking forward to hearing back from everyone!
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Blood Angels + Iron Warriors

Re: Spring Cleaning: GDG Needs YOU!

Postby Indy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 am

Depending on the exact day/time, I’m in.

I think the ABC labeling system helped quite a bit, but through laziness, new people not knowing it, or just the erosion of time, it’s fallen a bit out of practice, I fear. I think reinvigorating that system as well as a few printouts explaining it (always believe that not everyone knows something), I think that could be a start.

Also, I think a Terrain Infirmary area would be useful as well. Sometimes stuff gets broken, chipped, dropped, or otherwise battered around. It happens, and usually without malicious intent. Having an area to put stuff in need of a touch up would nip things in the bud and lessen the need to have a massive inventory session of everything to see what needs a touch of paint, a splotch of glue, or some spit n’ shine.
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Ultramarines

Postby Ukromarine » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:21 am

I can come and help. Just not Tuesday or Thursday
Heroes never die
yuggoth
Name: Ernesto P
Armies: Death Guard, Necrons

Postby yuggoth » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 am

I'd be happy to help. I can come any weekday after 6pm.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:34 am

March is a little tight for me, but I can try to make some spaces.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Postby Draaen » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 am

March would be busy for me but if I can make it out with whatever time is selected then I would be happy to help.

I do have some experience organizing shops and I have two general recommendations
1. Put up pictures and make the storage system visual so it is obvious if stuff is in the right place. It is harder to recognize an error from a letter on the bottom of the terrain to a picture placed at the shelf.
2. Ensure there is plenty of space. This may mean investing in some additional shelves within our existing shelving. Otherwise those nice bunkers are probably going to continually get stacked as people won't see it as being incredibly easy. The navy motto of a place for everything and everything in it's place doesn't work if we are cramming stuff in.

Plenty of other systems will work obviously. Ideally though we want to make sure whatever system is put in place gets used properly and is easily noticeable and fixable because errors will happen. Otherwise we end up re-organizing in the future with additional wear. We may also want to consider additional secure storage if there are any new terrain pieces in the works or planned to be in the works to ensure enough space. Especially since you were discussing a gaming area layout adjustment.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Awesome news guys! I am going to be at the club THIS Friday evening 2/28/2020 to do a little bit of organization and cleanup. If anyone else feels like coming by reach out.
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
vee
Name: Vee
Armies: IG GSC

Postby vee » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am

I’m available Mon - Thurs next week after 6pm and would be interested in both helping and becoming a paying member