Gauging Interest - Painting League

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Gauging Interest - Painting League

Postby Connman234 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Hey Guys. Who hear would be interested in a painting league over the summer?

For those who do not know what this is, every month a person would "pledge" a number of points of models to paint over the course of one month.
At the end of the month, you would use the models you pledged in a game.
Rinse and repeat for a couple months and you now have a bunch of painted models.

This would definitely start after the conclusion of the campaign mrscotty is running.

Thoughts, questions, and comments are appreciated.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ultramarines

Re: Gauging Interest - Painting League

Postby Ukromarine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Thats basically what I do - paint a unit, use it in a game (usually it takes about a month to paint)
Heroes never die
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Postby spruter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

I would be down for that, but what will differentiate it from what people are already doing? Would we be meeting up at the bunker to talk about our new models or is it just a pledge on the forums and then maybe play a game with them?
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm

spruter wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm
I would be down for that, but what will differentiate it from what people are already doing? Would we be meeting up at the bunker to talk about our new models or is it just a pledge on the forums and then maybe play a game with them?
Idea one is to set up a "dedicated" painting day at the bunker to help encourage people to paint that day with others to make it more of a social day.
Idea two is to allow people not be locked into a single faction for this. I.E. I might want to primarily do grey knights for this, but I have a backlog of Necrons and Space Marines. I could pledge units from all three, and use them in game.
Idea three is to allow models already partially assembled and painted. Example: I have a bunch of intercessors partially built and spray primed black. I can pledge these intercessors to encourage finishing them.

The pledging system would be post a picture of what you are pledging to paint on the forums (and/or facebook depending on what the store wants to do).
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Postby spruter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm

I've wanted to start a new army (orks) for a while but even getting to 500 points is a lot to purchase and paint. So having dedicated paint days and slowly introducing the new models would be a really fun idea.
vee
Name: Vee
Armies: IG GSC

Postby vee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:50 am

I like the idea of hobbying challenges, although, at least on weeknights packing up painting gear and hoofing it on the T is probably not going to happen

Although, on the topic of hobby community I discord voice chat most weeknights with some other out of area groups while painting and would totally do that with grimdark folk, since its the local group
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:07 am

We used to organize virtual hobbytime via Google Hangouts. The primary advantages over Discord and Skype were ease of access video chat. We stopped because attendance was becoming spotty.

But it looks like there's certainly enough new interest that we could give it a go again. What days of the week would be best for people?
vee
Name: Vee
Armies: IG GSC

Postby vee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm

I paint most evenings after 9pm, if i were to pick one, tuesdays are good.

Discord is nice for having an open voice channel to drop in and out as convenient any day of the week, but the video element makes sense for google hangouts

(As an aside looks like microsoft teams free edition has come a long way too with video calls included)
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 pm

vee wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm
I paint most evenings after 9pm, if i were to pick one, tuesdays are good.

Discord is nice for having an open voice channel to drop in and out as convenient any day of the week, but the video element makes sense for google hangouts

(As an aside looks like microsoft teams free edition has come a long way too with video calls included)
I appreciate the feedback. I do want to clarify that I'm platform agnostic at this point. Whatever people want to do. Discord shares images just as well (if not better) than Hangouts.

I don't have a lot of experience with Teams, but I'm open to it.
waddledom
Name: Dominic H
Armies: Space-marines

Postby waddledom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:47 pm

I very much like this idea, I need to paint several models (or improve what I have rn) and I think that a group doing it would be good for things like inspiration and to give each other some constructive criticism too!