Army input

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Vylaris
Name: Paul E
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Blood Angels, Ad Mech

Army input

Postby Vylaris » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:56 am

Hey guys,

So like I had posted in the other thread I am unaware of point values and whatnot I will list what I have here.
Blood Angels
1x Tactical squad
1x Assault squad
1x Death company assault squad
1x Terminator captain
1x Predator Baal tank
1x Death company dreadnought
1x Primaris dreadnought
1x Terminator assault squad
1x Mephiston

I am also currently building an Adeptus Mechanicus army but they aren't painted yet. I wasn't sure if I can mix in Adeptus Mechanicus within another space marine army.
1x Skitarii Rangers
1x Techpriest Dominus
1x Dunecrawler
2x Knight warglaives

I know it seems like a lot for someone who hasn't played but I had so much fun building and painting them that I just kept going.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Re: Army input

Postby Connman234 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:35 am

As one that currently has 8 armies, I know the feeling.

From what you have on the blood angels stuff, You have the makings of a battalion detachment. You are shy two troop squads (Intercessors, Incursors, Tactical Marines, Scouts, or Infiltrators) to make the battalion. The core forces most people take are two HQ choices and 3 troop choices. Everything else can fit in that battalion for blood angels.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:02 am

I'm gonna assume the squads are the contents of the kit box, so

-10 tactical marines
-5 death company
-5 Assault Terminators
-5 Assault Marines
-10 Skitarii

In 40k, there are two different types of points system: Power Level, and Matched Play Points.

Matched Play points are essentially how 40k has worked since the game started. You pay points for each model, and most of the weapon choices also cost points. Players then agree on a points value to play at, and you can take up to that value in models. A full scale big game is 2,000 points, and I'd estimate that you've got just about that much if you were to take all your stuff.

Power Level is a new thing they introduced with this edition that simplifies the points system by just giving a flat cost to a squad of models. The conversion between Power Level and Points is about 1 to 20: A 2,000 point game is 100 power level.

Most people who have been in the game for a while tend to use Matched Play points because they are balanced a lot more precisely than Power Level, and nobody likes having a one sided game, but I would recommend while you figure out the rules you play using the power level rating of your squads, starting with games where you and your opponent have 25PL each, and building up to 50PL each. Test out different combinations of units each game, each game keeping a few units the same so you can have something you're already familiar with.

These are the power level costs of your miniatures:

Captain in Terminator Armor - 7PL
Mephiston - 8PL
Tactical Squad, 10 man - 9PL
Death Company, 5-man with Jump Packs - 9PL
Death Company Dreadnought - 9PL
Redemptor Dreadnought - 10PL
Terminator Assault Squad - 11PL
Assault Squad, 5-man with Jump Packs - 6PL
Baal Predator - 8PL

Techpriest Dominus - 7PL
Skitarii Rangers or Vanguard, 10-man - 7PL
Onager Dunecrawler - 7PL

Armiger Warglaive - 9PL

You can mix Blood Angels, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Imperial Knights together in the same army. Blood Angels gain a special bonus if they do not bring allies, which makes them better at bringing down heavy units like tanks and monsters. The allies you do have though are pretty much pure anti-tank pieces, so I think if you bring them together you may find you don't need the special blood angel bonus, as your blood angels can be focused on killing lighter units in melee while the Armiger Warglaives and Dunecrawler destroy tanks.

I would definitely take your time to learn the game, and play at least 1-2 games with each unit in your collection before you look at what to buy next. Rest easy knowing you basically have a fully formed, functional army that needs maybe 1 more squad of basic troops for the Angels to be ready for 2,000 point games. The biggest reason people become frustrated and burn out in this game I've found is from making a whole bunch of purchases before they learn how anything works, and regret it later because they've built models and squads that don't work particularly well in the game, or even glued weapons combinations in place on their miniatures that aren't legal to play.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Vylaris
Name: Paul E
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Blood Angels, Ad Mech

Postby Vylaris » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:11 am

I appreciate you taking the time to give me a synopsis. There was another thing I had forgotten about which was a group of 3 intercessors that I had planned to add to the death company squad. They are just not done being painted(my daughter is painting them for me).

As for army composition at this time I have been less concerned with what would be useful and more so what would be fun to paint. But as you mentioned playing a few games should show me what weaknesses my army has.

Equipment wise I have tried to keep it as "legal" as possible there shouldn't be anything that is a "hey you can't do that, get that crap outta here!". The only thing I regret so far is slapping bolters on the baal tank instead of heavy flamers. However I tried to make up for this lack of close range with a pile of assault squads and the death company dread.
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:38 am

I am of the opinion that Rule of cool for army construction is ALWAYS a good way to go. However it is important that you are able to use your passion project on the tabletop. I would advise spending a bit of time reading up on some tactics and such for blood angels and ad-mech, find something that feels appealing to you and building your army up around that "gimmick" so to speak. Once you have that base understanding of a goal in mind then by all means go hog wild with building your dudes how you want your dudes to look. One piece of advice I would give you is to most definitely build a battalion "detachment" as it is more or less the universal force organization method and will unlock some Command Points to spend on stratagems. In order for you to do that you would require two HQs and three Troops choices from whichever army it is you plan on running. In your case I would initially stick with Blood Angels and maybe consider a box of intercessors to run in two 5 man squads to fulfill your troop requirements and maybe even a Librarian Dreadnought for an HQ. From there it is a matter of figuring out what your stuff does on the tabletop and finding how your units work in cohesion with one another.

In my experience a solid foundation for a learning game with a player with wargaming experience and at least a working understanding of the rules works best at about 1,000 points because you will have access to a little bit of everything to start getting a feel for how different units interact with and against each other. Give the basic rulebook a read and study your codex.
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 am

Darth Hoodie wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:38 am
I am of the opinion that Rule of cool for army construction is ALWAYS a good way to go. However it is important that you are able to use your passion project on the tabletop. I would advise spending a bit of time reading up on some tactics and such for blood angels and ad-mech, find something that feels appealing to you and building your army up around that "gimmick" so to speak. Once you have that base understanding of a goal in mind then by all means go hog wild with building your dudes how you want your dudes to look. One piece of advice I would give you is to most definitely build a battalion "detachment" as it is more or less the universal force organization method and will unlock some Command Points to spend on stratagems. In order for you to do that you would require two HQs and three Troops choices from whichever army it is you plan on running. In your case I would initially stick with Blood Angels and maybe consider a box of intercessors to run in two 5 man squads to fulfill your troop requirements and maybe even a Librarian Dreadnought for an HQ. From there it is a matter of figuring out what your stuff does on the tabletop and finding how your units work in cohesion with one another.

In my experience a solid foundation for a learning game with a player with wargaming experience and at least a working understanding of the rules works best at about 1,000 points because you will have access to a little bit of everything to start getting a feel for how different units interact with and against each other. Give the basic rulebook a read and study your codex.

This is good advice. A 10-man squad box of either Infiltrators or Intercessors will allow you to split them into 2 5-man squads, which gives you the basic foundation of an army when combined with the Tactical Squad you already have and your Terminator Captain and Mephiston.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!