Home rules

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ultramarines

Home rules

Postby Ukromarine » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 am

Question to group - what rule(s) in the game in your opinion just doesnt make any sense and can be homeruled within the club games?

The idea for this question came to me while thinking that the fact that land raider or stormraven won't take any primaris model (2 for 1 like termies) is just stupid

Also I don't understand why cover adds +1 to save throws and not substract from hit roll instead, since if youre in cover its more difficult to hit you and not penetrate the armour
Heroes never die
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves

Re: Home rules

Postby Kman2190 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Ukromarine wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 am
Question to group - what rule(s) in the game in your opinion just doesnt make any sense and can be homeruled within the club games?

The idea for this question came to me while thinking that the fact that land raider or stormraven won't take any primaris model (2 for 1 like termies) is just stupid

Also I don't understand why cover adds +1 to save throws and not substract from hit roll instead, since if youre in cover its more difficult to hit you and not penetrate the armour
I don't believe GdG has home rules but you can play with home rules if your opponent is cool with it.

Personally, I am not too keen on home rules cuz I like to strategize ahead of time so any change of rules would throw my calculus off.

Do the rules make sense? GW tries their best, given the complexity of the game, I can understand how some rules and their effects seems nonsensical but I would argue that it gives all factions a fair shot at winning. The rules themselves don't feel skewed to favor for one play style over the other so changing any rule might have unintended results.
FOR THE ALLFATHER
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm

There is a ruleset called cities of death that adds the "obscured" rule, which is -1 to hit if all models in the target unit are not fully visible. I like that rule personally and think it does a good job in addition to regular cover.

The primaries transport thing is definitely dumb. I also dislike that the new primaries stuff gets to deep strike during deployment because they were sneaky, but my sneaky genestealer cults have to deep strike on turn 2.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Ultramarines

Postby Ukromarine » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:47 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm
There is a ruleset called cities of death that adds the "obscured" rule, which is -1 to hit if all models in the target unit are not fully visible. I like that rule personally and think it does a good job in addition to regular cover.

The primaries transport thing is definitely dumb. I also dislike that the new primaries stuff gets to deep strike during deployment because they were sneaky, but my sneaky genestealer cults have to deep strike on turn 2.
Yeah, invictor and infiltrators shouldnt be able to do so, modelwise they arent any different from intercessors or redemptor in that way
Heroes never die
AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Postby AngelusSperi » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Fwiw, I think the cover rules actually make a lot of sense. Things like smoke launchers obscure an entire area, making aiming into that zone difficult (-1 hit). The concrete slab you're firing over doesn't make it harder to tell where you are, but adds a multi-foot layer of concrete to blast through before getting to your squishiness (+1 armor save).

That being said, adding the Cities of Death obscured rule is a cool way to mitigate some of the shootiness going on nowadays (though the CoD hard vs soft cover felt bananas to break through vs cheap infantry like guard @_@ lol).

As for the primaris thing... that's a tough one. GW has been waffling around with how to handle the Classic-Primaris divide and future. Part of this was trying to fully separate the two armies (don't want the new players buying rhinos for Intercessors). It also gives some niches to classic marines (they can drop pod, primaris can't).

BUT, it does feel very game-y. Same with putting classics in a repulsor. That being said, going 2 for 1 in a land raider is probably a poor tradeoff vs 1 for 1 in a repulsor (they both fill the transport tank role); stormraven is pretty unique though (and fun - I've often run a pair filled with vets and dreads).

As for house rules in general, there's none that I know of used ina blanket way, but there are certainly events that add things (extra CP for single faction has shown up a few times), or if players want to set up a specific game scenario that adds/changes some rules (Scott came up with a fun looking vehicle bash that re-introduced facing). I wrote a little piece about trying to introduce the Custom Character rules to Narrative/Matched play, though I don't know if anyone's tried that yet.

For the most part, the club really leans on "talk with your opponent" for setting up the kind of game that both players will enjoy. We all just want to have fun with our toy soldiers ;)
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Haha, yeah, if you want to play a lot of custom terrain rules for different maps...stay tuned for a future campaign ;)

I've got something in the cooker that will have house terrain rules for all our different terrain sets.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:42 am

Don't even get me started with the gripes I have for the "New Marines" I scrapped an entire army because of them... The "transport" issue being one of the myriad reasons why I feel as if they are a totally schizophrenic cluster f*** of jankiness.

I for one feel as if cover should still be its own unique save like it was in 7th edition, some armies relied on it as a way to stay alive. In 7th ed GEQ died to bolter fire out in the open. With cover a guard squad stood a decent chance of surviving a fusillade of bolter fire with that sweet sweet 4+ it also gave your models a CHANCE to survive some hellacious shooting. GOD DAMN do I miss my Black Knights Jink Save, re-rollable 2+ with a 5+++ FNP. Brings back fond memories of snow white and the huntsmen.

As for house rules, I am firmly of the belief that if you have a cool idea and want to try it, ask your opponent and I think at least at the bunker most of the time you will get someone at least willing to give it a go or discuss it with you. We have a pretty amicable and open minded group of wargamers around here.
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Postby AngelusSperi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:55 am

Darth Hoodie wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:42 am
I for one feel as if cover should still be its own unique save like it was in 7th edition, some armies relied on it as a way to stay alive. In 7th ed GEQ died to bolter fire out in the open. With cover a guard squad stood a decent chance of surviving a fusillade of bolter fire with that sweet sweet 4+ it also gave your models a CHANCE to survive some hellacious shooting. GOD DAMN do I miss my Black Knights Jink Save, re-rollable 2+ with a 5+++ FNP. Brings back fond memories of snow white and the huntsmen.
Funny enough, modern cover DOES give Guard a 4+ vs bolter fire XD. And a 4+ against flamers, which used to be the best thing in the game for dislodging massed infantry ;_;

With the switch to Sigmar style "rend" for modern AP, I kinda like that really penetrative weapons (like Meltas for instance) are so melty that even cover pretty much doesn't help (whereas anything that makes it harder to find you does). It also means that cover helps marines against more than just plasma fire. So overall, cover is stronger against light arms (that are/were best for clearing light infantry) but if someone wants to aim an anti-tank weapon at the bunkered guardsmen... well, one of them is gonna go home extra crispy lol.

Those Black Knights sound nightmarish though. I remember how hard it was dealing with the rerollable 2++ saves for screamer-star (as in, proper tactic is to just ignore it cuz you'll never actually hurt it haha), much less seeing something like that with a 5+++. Just... ewwwww. Lol. At least frag cannons would have nixed the jink save (compared to tickling screamer-star). I miss my good flamer/template weapons from 7th..... :(
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:58 am

My second-fondest moment of 7th edition was rolling 7 of those guys up like sausages with the stupid Callidus Assassin because we discovered the neural shredder was the perfect anti-black knight weapon. AP2 Ignore Cover wounds vs leadership template.

First favorite was definitely the intersection of three pretty much forgotten rules leading to a solitaire sweeping 45 conscripts off the board at the end of an assault phase. He managed to use the "Precision Strikes" rule (which let you choose the target of your melee attacks when you hit on a 6, making it a rule used and remembered about as often as Soulblaze) to put his instant-killing harlequin's kiss attack into the Commissar, even after the commissar had refused a challenge and was sitting out of the fight phase because of it.

God damn, on the subject of house rules, anyone want to play a game where I bring back the old 7th ed harlequin melee weapon rules, where instead of being glorified power weapons the harlequins' melee stuff was a beautiful mess of unreliable gimmicks? They'd translate pretty good into 8th honestly.

Harlequin's Kiss: Currently S+1 Ap-1 D3d, becomes
S: User AP- D1, Kiss of Death: A model with a Harlequin's Kiss may make 1 bonus attack with it each time they fight. This bonus attack always wounds non-VEHICLE models on a 2+, has AP-4, and damage D3. At the end of any fight phase where a model suffered unsaved wounds from Kiss of Death bonus attacks, roll a D6. If you roll higher than the model's remaining wounds, remove the model as a casualty.

(So basically, give them the Genestealer Cults' Heavy Rock Cutter rule to give them a similar anti-character/anti-monster role)

Harlequin's Caress: Currently S+2, Ap-2, D1, becomes

S: User Ap-1 D1, Bad Touch of Death: when a model attacks with a Harlequin's Caress, any natural hit rolls of 6 cause a mortal wound in addition to any other damage.

Harlequin's Embrace: currently S+1, Ap-3, D1, becomes

S: +1, AP -, D1. Snuggles of Death: In a turn where the bearer charged or performed a heroic intervention, this weapon becomes S+3 Ap- D1 and may make D3 bonus attacks.
Game Preferences:
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Blood Angels + Iron Warriors

Postby Indy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Rhino seatbelts aren’t long enough to wrap around an Intercessor’s waist.

In the setting of 40k, you are a heretic if you suggest the AdMech maybe make longer seatbelts.

It’s so bafflingly illogical it kinda makes sense for 40k.
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron