Dark Mech?

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sons of Horus

Dark Mech?

Postby Darth Hoodie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 am

Hey guys! Slow day at work today and I caught myself thinking about an army I've been toying around with in my head for a while, The Admech Gunline to end all gunlines. This got me thinking and doing a little theory hammer, what is stopping GW from going the way of "Chaos Knights" with Admech, start as a supplement and then just slowly add models and its own unique codex? Truly half of the mechanicum sided with the traitors during the heresy why are there no rules in 40k for Dark Mech? They are featured in ADB's Black Legion Novels and the whole idea of being able to ally Dark Mech Skitarii with CSM is so appealing to me.

What I want to talk about is what is stopping GW from releasing a supplement for the Ad Mech books with a new named character, "Chapter Tactics" and stratagems for the "Dark Mech Forge-Worlds" and just copy paste over the units from the Ad Mech book with some minor tweaks and changes.

It would be a converters wet dream, I cant help but think about how sinister a dark mech army would look on the table. With the wacky admech vehicles combined with deamon engines and the gibblies in the CSM book.

My question to the club is this, if I were to go down this path would anyone take issue to a CSM player allying "Dark Mech" into their army? What rules balance issues do you foresee giving chaos access to that quality of shooting would it be game breaking? Because the way I see it right now aint nothing nearly as broken as the new marine book and the nonsense in their supplements. Watchu guys think?
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Dark Mech?

Postby MrScotty » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 am

I personally would not mind it at all. Marine gun lines are stronger than admech gun lines anyway. I think you hit on the reason gw hasn't done it already: a converters dream. That would be no model no rules! Das ist verboten!!
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Yeah the GW way of doing things lately would necessitate them putting out a new line of models entirely which as we have seen by the Primaris Space Marines is a huge undertaking for them.

That said I wouldn't mind playing against a "Dark Mechanicum" army.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Postby Draaen » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Id have no problem with it. I could see issues if you brought it out to a tournament.

From a rules perspective you could do knights and admech and then just paint them up as chaos and use imperial rules. Then no one can argue with it.

From a narrative perspective traitor mechanicus would have had time to develop their war technology significantly better then loyalists. They also do not have cawl. More warp daemon engines and the like. After 10 thousand years of separate development i would imagine significang differences. Which would be a really cool thing to model.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I wonder if using the warpsmith, hellwright, lord discordant and daemon engines would be a more faithful representation of dark mech on the tabletop than current skitarii rules. There are also a bunch of FW models like the terrax drill that you can field in a csm detachment alongside hell forged models.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!